Pope’s Head Tavern

roseAgas Map
roseList documents mentioning Pope’s Head Tavern
The Pope’s Head Tavern in Cornhill lay at the north end of Pope’s Head Alley, to which it gave its name. It was a substantial stone building dating back to the reign of Edward IV (Harben), and was commonly believed to have once been a King’s Palace, but this belief may have arisen purely out of the fact that its walls carried the arms of England (Sugden 418, Moser 14). It was bequeathed to the Merchant Taylors’ Company in 1615, and they were still drawing rents from the property in the early 20th century (Sugden 418, Harben). The tavern was in use until 1756.

References