Leathersellers’ Hall
The Leathersellers Hall was a hall belonging to the
Leathersellers in Bishopsgate Ward east of Bishopsgate Street and north of St. Helens church. TheLeathersellers Hall is not instantly recognizable on the Agas map. It
is one of the houses north of St. Helens church
and south of the walled garden by the west end of St.
Mary Axe church. The hall is, however, featured on Richard Blome’s
1755 map of Bishopsgate Ward.
The hall was once the Hall of St. Helens Priory,
but at the dissolution of that religious house it was purchased by the company
of Leathersellers. Unfortunately, Stow provides no description of the hall
itself, but he does mention how it was purchased by the Leathersellers along
with
other Companie [buildings] thereunto appertaining(Stow). This old hall remained in situ
until 1799, when it was taken down for the formation of St. Helen’s Place(Harben).
References
-
Citation
Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.This item is cited in the following documents:
-
Citation
Stow, John. A Survey of London. Reprinted from the Text of 1603. Ed. Charles Lethbridge Kingsford. 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon, 1908. Reprint. British History Online. Subscription. [Kingsford edition, courtesy of The Centre for Metropolitan History. Articles written 2011 or later cite from this searchable transcription. In the in-text parenthetical reference (Stow; BHO), click on BHO to go directly to the page containing the quotation or source.]This item is cited in the following documents: