Charnel House and Chapel of St. Edmund the Bishop and Mary Magdalen

TheCharnel House and Chapel of St. Edmund and Mary Magdalen was a mortuary chapel in Bishopsgate Ward on the east side of Bishopsgate Street. Prockter and Taylor suggest that the Charnel House and Chapel of St. Edmund and Mary Magdalen is the long, solitary building within the walled compound northwest of the Artillery Yard on the Agas map. References to this chapel are sparse in historical records, but we know from Stow that it was founded about the yeare 1391. by William Euesham Citizen and Peperer of London, who was there buried (Stow). The chapel was most likely the mortuary for the Priory of St. Mary Spital and therefore stood within or just outside the priory precincts. It seems that when the priory was dissolved, so were the Charnel House and Chapel.

References