Stocks Market

The Stocks Market was a significant market for
fish and fleshin early modern London, located south of Poultry, north of Bucklersbury, and west of Walbrook Street in Cornhill Ward (Weinreb, Hibbert, Keay, and Keay 879). It is labelled as
Stokeson the Agas map. The building of the Stocks Market was commissioned by lord mayor Henry le Wales in 1283 and, according to the editors of The London Encyclopedia, is named after the
the only fixed pair of stocks in the city(Weinreb, Hibbert, Keay, and Keay 879). Other names include
Les Stokkesand
Le Stocke(Harben; BHO).
According to Sugden, the Stocks Market operated as a landmark in early modern literature. He lists Sir Philip Sidney’s Remedy for Love as well as Thomas Dekker’s Bellman as texts that mention the Stocks Market as a significant site.
Stocks Market no longer exists as such in modern London. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of
London, rebuilt, and then replaced in 1739 by the Mansion House, which is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London.
References
-
Citation
Harben, Henry. A Dictionary of London. London: Henry Jenkins, 1918. British History Online. Reprint. Open.This item is cited in the following documents:
-
Citation
Weinreb, Ben, Christopher Hibbert, Julia Keay, and John Keay. The London Encyclopaedia. 3rd ed. Photography by Matthew Weinreb. London: Macmillan, 2008.This item is cited in the following documents: