CyanogenMod has been replaced by LineageOS, and there is an unofficial Nougat ROM available.
To install it, hold the power, volume up AND volume down buttons simultaneously until you see the Google boot logo, then release the buttons.
Once you see the little droid dude lying down with his guts open, use the power button to select Recovery Mode and boot the tablet in to TWRP.
Once in TWRP, plug it in to your computer. It should find the tablet and mount it. Copy the zip file containing the ROM to the root of the drive (labelled 'Internal Storage'). Also copy in any other stuff that you can/must flash (like GApps).
In TWRP, select 'Install' and choose the ROM zip file and use the slider to indicate that you're serious.
Once flashed, run the 'Clear Dalvik cache' and go 'up' and run the install again, this time on the GApps image.
You should be able to boot in to the new OS now.
JA called to report that the config on the CCAP db had been hosed by the visit of a robot to a specific URL, which triggered something completely unexpected and unwanted. He was able to recover it, and add protection against a similar event both on CCAP and on LOI. The AtoM documentation is apparently not working properly so we can't find anything on their site about this particular "feature".
The lab is now running Ubuntu 16.04.
One new thing is that I had expected PXE booting to 'just work', but it's been a bit hit-and-miss. I have no clear understanding why, but I might be able to find out by comparing UEFI/BIOS settings on the machines to find out what the differences are between machines that CAN PXE boot and those that CAN'T.
The machines have two distinct motherboards (ASUS H81I-plus and ASUS H97I-plus), and there are slight differences between the models' UEFI/BIOS.
Machines that can PXE boot:
NOTE: F8 should boot the machines to a boot menu that contains UEFI network booting.
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrunIt should be resolved by running the following in the terminal:
sudo xcode-select --resetAs it's a sudo command you'll need to provide an admin password.
Auto magically do the following:
Bind to UVic's ldap server at ldap1p.uvic.ca with the following search base suffix:
Configure Search and Mapping setting with the following customization from a modified RFC2307 template:
- Users > NFSHomeDirectory > #/Users/Netlink/$uid$
- Users > UserShell > #/bin/bash
So the script found here and then modified by removing the plist for installs older OS X 10.7 partially works. It binds to ldap1p.uvic.ca but does not configure the search and mappings listed above. The Record Types and Attributes remain blank.
Moving forward we believe that dscl likely holds the key for completing the script and adding the necessary customization to the .plist.
This post will be updated as I move forward.
How I connected to UVic's eduroam wireless network using Ubuntu 14.10
Security: WPA2 Enterprise
CA Certificate: /etc/ssl/certs/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.pem
PEAP Version: Automatic
Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2
Note that the cert above may be a symlink to
Whatever file you point to, the md5sum of the cert that works is
In anticipation of getting rid of the iMacs in the lab, I was considering how to provide decent non-English character maps. The little applet I have doesn't allow you to insert combinations, so it's ultimately not the tool we need.
With them we should be able to construct custom keyboards that address the needs of projects like the Moses dictionary. Alternatively, and perhaps more forward-looking, we could write some xslt to convert MacOS .keylayout files to xkb format. MacOS keyboards are easier to find (e.g. languagegeek.com has MacOS keyboards for all listed languages), and written in XML, so it should be relatively easy-ish.
I've noticed some auth.log entries that suggest that lab machines are constantly connected to the ldap server and other entries that suggest that there is a problem with the apparmor configuration (entries that include apparmor=DENIED and refer to mkdor and telepathy). I believe I've sorted it out, though.
In the first case I've discovered that nslcd DOES stay connected to the server. So, I've added a line to /etc/nslcd.conf that says:
which should close the ldap connection after 60 seconds. There are other timeouts in the same class that I may need to use, but this looks like the best first choice.
In the second case, there are 'tunables' in apparmor that should be adjusted in cases like ours - specifically, using non-standard home directory locations. In the file '/etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home' I've edited the line that looks like this:
to look like this:
It appears that both problems have gone away, at least so far. Fingers croseed.
Per-profile settings for Java in LibreOffice can be provided by adding a file here: /etc/skel/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config/javasettings_Linux_X86_64.xml
The file should look like this:
When a new user profile is created it will generate this preference file in the user's home directory/.config...