The main front page and the Maintenance blog have been tweaked to be a little more useful. Most blogs have not been tweaked and look a bit rubbish. Here are the changes I made. I made it as terse as I could, but they're still kind of clunky.
- Log in to blogs. Toolbar at top->Site->Site Dashboard
- Select Blog (now called a Collection) from list
- Look for a row of tabs with titles like 'Collection Dashboard', 'Contents', 'Comments' etc. Select 'Skin'
- Look for a section titled 'Header Top Settings'. Uncheck 'Display Header Top'. This disables the weird listing of blogs at the top of the page.
You can also change some of the colours used for this Collection. The main page and the maintenance blog use the following colours:
- General Settings section: 'Color Scheme'=#005493
- Main Header Settings section: 'Site Title Color'=#ffffff; 'Menu Links Color'=#ffffff; 'Main Header BG Color'=#002754
- There is a save button at the bottom of the page.
Next, go to the 'Widgets' tab. We'll be deleting some widgets - in some cases we'll empty sections completely.
- 'Item Page' section: Seen by, Item Vote
- 'Item Single' section: Item Location, About Author, Seen by
- 'Menu' section: Pages, Link to: Collection owner contact form, Link to: Log in form
- 'Page Top' section: All blogs
- 'Register' section: Register, Content Block
- 'Sidebar' section: Random photo, XML Feeds
- 'Sidebar 2' section: remove everything
- 'Login Required' section: Log in to your account
- We'll be editing/adding some widgets too.
In the 'Menu' section we'll make the 'Home' link in the header point to the front page of the whole blog system instead of the Collection front page and create a log in link that does not cause confusion.
- 'Edit' the Link to: Front Page widget and type 'Home' in the "Link text" field. Change "Collection ID" to 1. Save.
- 'Edit' the Link to: Log in form widget by changing 'Link Type' from "Log in form (disp-login)" to "Go to any URL", type 'Log in' in the "Link text" field, and type 'https://hcmc.uvic.ca/blogs/index.php?disp=login' in the "URL" field. Save.
- In the 'Sidebar 2' section we're adding a widget called "Public collctions list" - you'll find it at the bottom of the widgets list under 'Other'. Leave the settings alone.