The update to MariaDB 8 has made a number of things more difficult when it comes to configuring databases. Today we worked through a number of issues with JA, and this is what we learned:
- HCMC can grant permissions to users on specific dbs, but it only seems to work at the command line, not using the adminer form interface. Use CLI commands in the adminer interface.
- When you grant permissions to a user using GRANT SELECT.... ON `db`.* to `user` (where user has already been created), you should NOT specify any server (no @something following the user name). If you specify nothing, you get the wildcard %, which is what you want.
- Once you have a wildcard % in the permissions, do NOT specify any further permissions which are more specific for that user; if you do, the wildcard will be rendered useless, although you'll still see it in there. So:
- DO NOT specify a host in the command
- Thereby get a wildcard
- Don't undermine the wildcard by adding further more specific permissions.