Hare House

According to Walter George Bell, Hare House was a property in Ram Alley left by John Bowser and Humphrey Street in 1584 upon trust for 1,000 years, that every Sunday thirteen pennyworth of bread should be given to thirteen poor people of the parish after service in St. Dunstan’s church (Bell 296). Hare House was subsequently destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. In the nineteenth century, Ram Alley was renamed as Hare Place after Hare House.

References

  • Citation

    Bell, Walter George. Fleet Street in Seven Centuries: Being a History of the Growth of London Beyond the Walls into the Western Liberty, and of Fleet Street to Our Time. London: Sir Isaac Pitman and Sons, 1912. Internet Archive. Open.

    This item is cited in the following documents: