For some time I've been working on version 7 of Hot Potatoes, mostly at weekends because the work has to be done on a Windows XP vm which is on my home desktop. Today I was working remotely because of snow and other reasons, and I got a good amount of work done, releasing the fourth or fifth beta (can't remember which), numbered 126.96.36.199. This is (I think) feature-complete, and has all existing reported bugs fixed. Changes from version 6 include:
- Pure XHTML5 output, fully validated.
- Responsive interface using CSS flex to better support small form-factor devices.
- Touch support in drag-drop exercises.
- Reading texts now available to accompany drag-drop exercises (screens are bigger so this is more practical now).
- Cosmetic refresh for exercises, including rounded corners and drop-shadows on buttons, etc.
- New version of the base HotPot application background graphic, with version 6 replaced by version 7.
- Removal of obsolete code and simplification of existing code, due to better options in JS and CSS (there's more of this to do).
- Fully updated help file, readmes, example exercises, and installer.
- Updated interfaces for Italian and European Portuguese (that's all we have so far).
I think we're now in a position to re-work the Latin and Greek sites with their own customized versions of the new source files, but beta-testers are still getting started so there may be more bugs to fix.