Category: "Activity log"

JTEI work

March 7th, 2019

Issue 12 editors' meeting.

TEI meetings

March 4th, 2019

Regular weekly with SB; merged a commit from JT and me into dev Stylesheets. Then a conference call on Unihan/Unicode character property encoding.

Weekly JTEI issue 12 meeting

February 7th, 2019

Met with KT as usual, and divided existing tasks.

JTEI copyedit

February 7th, 2019

Did a copyedit of one of the accepted articles for issue 12.

Responses to reviews

January 28th, 2019

With SA and GN: wrote responses to DH reviews for the paper and panel submissions.

Reviewing etc.

January 25th, 2019

Posting time spent recently editing my own issue 12 article and one other one, following up on reviews, revisions etc., meeting with KT, and starting a review of a long JADH article.

JTEI day

January 17th, 2019

Dealt with two submissions, including a full copyedit of one of them; met with KT and went through the list of todos; made some edits to one which is in proofing; and turned my own original proposal document and subsequent presentation into a full article, which I submitted to the conference call for the TEI 2018 conference.

DH conference reviewing

January 14th, 2019

Did all the remaining reviews in my list ahead of the deadline tomorrow.

TEI work

January 7th, 2019

Video call with some TEI Council folks regarding the proposed unihan element. Good proposal worked out.

TEI work

December 21st, 2018

Initial meeting with SB re Test2 documentation; then afternoon Stylesheets Coop group meeting at which I introduced Test2.

TEI: beginning to integrate some new Japanese translations

December 17th, 2018

KN and his team are about a third of the way through reworking the Japanese translations of spec items, and I've started the process of integrating the results back into the TEI repo. Going slowly so I can learn from what I'm reading, and check for misunderstandings.

JTEI issue work

December 6th, 2018

Met with KT for our regular weekly trawl through the TODOs; evaluated changes to one article, accepted it and did the first copyedit; follow-ups with a couple of other submitters.

Planned paper revisions

November 23rd, 2018

Met with JT and planned revisions to DSH paper requested by reviewer.

TEI Conference issue work

November 22nd, 2018

Editors' meeting with KT; did the consolidation of copyediting changes for LB's article, and sent the result to him; did the revision of my own article per reviewers; contacted some authors to remind them of requirement for images; and did a review of article 176. That was everything that was on my plate for the moment, I think.

TEI work

November 19th, 2018

Over the weekend, trawled through my tickets and did some work there; 6am to 7.10 this morning, had a Stylesheets Coop Group meeting online from home; at work, completed one of my tickets by creating a branch with a pull request, and debugged an issue with build log parsing on the TEI Jenkins server.

Planning DH submission

November 13th, 2018

Separately with SA and GN, did the division of labour for the first stages in building our submission. I'll be creating the Quandary maze.

DH 2019 panel submission

November 9th, 2018

Took the two halves written by GN and SA and moulded them into a whole, which I then committed to GitHub and sent to the panel folks. I'd like to get a couple of citations of the Librarians' work into the proposal, but still waiting for responses from them about URLs, and there may not be time.

JTEI: editors' meeting and work on article

November 8th, 2018

Met with KT, pushed some decisions forward, and did half an evaluation of a resubmission (now waiting on author response to a question).

Planning submission for DH

November 6th, 2018

With SA and GN, outlined a submission and gathered some biblio refs.

TEI work: Stylesheets Test2

November 2nd, 2018

Did a bit more work on the ongoing Test2 project in the TEI Stylesheets repo.

JTEI: editors' meeting and review/copyedit of article

November 1st, 2018

Met with KT on JTEI Issue 12, pushed things forward a bit on a number of submissions, and did a detailed review of a resubmission.

JTEI: meeting about a possible journal hosting environment

October 24th, 2018

Met online with LR, RVDB and AB to get a demo of the Episciences platform and discuss its viability for JTEI.

JTEI issue: review and decisions

October 23rd, 2018

Did one review myself, and implemented two decisions on papers that were reviewed, in preparation for meeting with KT on Thursday.

TEI Stylesheets release

September 28th, 2018

Assisted with the second half of the release process for Stylesheets 7.46.0.

TEI work: Jenkins setup still coming along

August 29th, 2018

As I set up my new Jinks, I'm discovering more little weirdnesses and breakages that were not there on older versions of the OS. Did a bunch of fixes to images for picky LATEX issues, and created a pull request for a problem with diffing the listings files from ODT and DOCX archives.

Starting on last presentation for TEI

August 27th, 2018

Made a start on the last (and hardest) of the four. Long way to go yet.

GeoJSON presentation for TEI

July 11th, 2018

Working on the presentation arising out of BreezeMap; it's about half done so far.

More work on Keats presentation for TEI

July 5th, 2018

Making steady progress; hoping to finish tomorrow. Found some Schematron that was out of date, and tweaked some of the document markup after fixing it. Added a bit to documentation.

jTEI issue: editors' meeting

June 29th, 2018

Decisions made, next steps scheduled.

Discussion on discoverability and aggregation of scholarship

May 29th, 2018

Participated with SA and others in interview by researchers aiming to create an aggregator for open scholarship products.

JTEI issue: editor meeting

May 9th, 2018

Met with the editors to go through the submissions and move everything forward. Followed up with actions after the meeting.

Submission for JADH

May 8th, 2018

Wrote the Endings proposal JT and I planned out the other day and submitted it to JADH.

Four reviews for TEI conference

May 4th, 2018

Did a set of reviews which were due immediately. :-)

TEI work

April 24th, 2018

Completed a modularization of the ODD file processing for my Stylesheets Test2. SB will now add more tests to it.

jTEI: managing reviews and responses

April 12th, 2018

An hour of churn work following up on reviews received, refused, carried out, and so on, for our conference issue.

jTEI issue: more submissions, more review assignments

April 6th, 2018

Sorted out reviewers for the latest few submissions, and also chased up a few of the previous assignments who haven't responded yet. Moving along steadily...

BreezeMap: wrote submission for TEI 2018

March 29th, 2018

The current work on BreezeMap, and especially on Image Markup, is coming together with my work on implementing TEI ticket 1453, and I think it's worth a short paper, so I've submitted an abstract for the Tokyo conference. I have one more abstract to do, for a panel presentation.

TEI work: implementation of new path element

March 28th, 2018

I'm in the process of implementing a new path element for the TEI, per issue 1453. Created a new branch for this work, implemented the specification and linked it into the chapters, worked on some of the Schematron, built and tested locally, and pushed the results up. The chapter prose and further examples still remain to be done.

Meeting with JL's students

March 14th, 2018

Meeting re mapping project with JL's students.

Submitted proposal for TEI 2018

March 14th, 2018

Proposal based on the Keats project submitted.

CSS workshop done

March 12th, 2018

Taught the last part.

CSS workshop part 3

March 7th, 2018

Wrote the third part of the workshop, which is an optional component showing how to describe the appearance of an original text using TEI with rendition elements. New presentation, new materials (from LM's actual course materials), and a new build process to create a new encoding package for Oxygen, with some potentially quite useful XSLT which creates a CSS stylesheet from the original TEI.

CSS workshop part 2

March 5th, 2018

Did part 2 of the CSS workshop. One to go.

Consultation on IRGs

February 27th, 2018

Posting time spent yesterday and today consulting on two IRG applications.

CSS Workshop done (first two parts, at least)

February 23rd, 2018

Spent basically all day massaging the old 2006 materials into a modern Oxygen-oriented workshop. Hopefully we can use this multiple times.

Working on CSS workshops

February 20th, 2018

SA and I are doing a CSS workshop next week in LM's class, so we've started working on materials.

jTEI issue: setting up for reviewing

February 19th, 2018

Created a document to track the review process, and gathered some suggestions for reviewers for the first paper. Shared with other editors.

TEI work

February 16th, 2018

With SB, figured out the build problem and fixed it. Discussed the possibility of merging our build processes on Jenkins.

jTEI article submitted

February 14th, 2018

Revised, rewrote, extended the last section with much more detail, and submitted.

TEI work

February 9th, 2018

With SB, worked on figuring out why the tei_customization file wasn't finding its way into the plugin. Problem partially solved with a couple of fixes -- it's there in TEI P5 but not in TEI ODD framework. More to do, and also documentation.

First draft of jTEI article finished

February 8th, 2018

In the process, came across an oddity or possibly a bug in jTEI document rendering, so I'm corresponding with JVdB about that.

More on jTEI article

February 7th, 2018

Did some more work on this, integrating bits from the presentation into the prose. Sent a reminder about the deadline to jTEI.

Article for jTEI

February 6th, 2018

Did a little work on the jTEI crossword article.

TEI work

January 29th, 2018

Logging some time spent Friday and today preparing for the TEI Stylesheets group meeting.

TEI work

January 19th, 2018

Regular weekly meeting with SB, working on Stylesheets issues ahead of the upcoming release.

TEI work

January 12th, 2018

With SB, worked on some Stylesheets tickets and prepared some for the Coop Group meeting next week.

DSH articles: submission and review

December 21st, 2017

Went through the submission process for our DH 2017 article, and then did a review for another issue of DSH.

TEI work

December 15th, 2017

Met with SB and looked at a couple of tickets.

Last ENG 500 corrections

December 12th, 2017

Last three done; tweaks to a couple of others.

Did some TEI work

December 4th, 2017

Started work yesterday on TEI ticket 1453, and did a bit more on it today. Working in a branch because it involves a lot of different files.

Corrected two more poems

December 4th, 2017

That's six done.

Corrected two more of the ENGL500 poems

November 30th, 2017

Quality is high so far.

Corrected two of the ENGL500 poems

November 29th, 2017

These are a bit longer than usual, so taking a long time to correct. Sent the first two to AC.

Budget for SSHRC app

October 30th, 2017

Worked with SA on budget for HCMC's role in SH's SSHRC application.

Interview

October 23rd, 2017

Interviewed a student for an ISE job with JJ.

TEI work

October 13th, 2017

Worked with SB on a Stylesheets ticket. Got the initial bug fixed; the ticket raises larger issues.

Prep for DH 150

October 11th, 2017

With SA, went through the rest of the workshop materials and made a few tweaks.

Teaching in DH 150

October 5th, 2017

Intro to XML part one with LM's class. More next week.

VPN SSHRC app work

October 2nd, 2017

With SA, worked on revising original budget content for VPN SSHRC application.

Meetings

October 2nd, 2017

Meeting with SH and SA re Partnership grant application; meeting with DR re text analysis project.

Focus group meeting on data management

September 25th, 2017

Everyone participated.

Meeting with LM re DH150 course

September 22nd, 2017

Outcome: SA and I will do a version of our XML Intro workshop, tweaked for the context, on October 5 and 12.

Met with AC re ENGL 500

August 17th, 2017

Discussion of the Omeka/TEI issue. We decided that the best scenario would be to generate HTML from the TEI files, and upload the HTML pages into Omeka, assuming that's possible. We'll need to investigate that.

Data Management meeting

August 16th, 2017

Meeting with JQ re data management; did interview, had discussion, and put out call for HCMC focus group.

SSHRC application work

August 15th, 2017

Redid my SSHRC attachment for the latest MoEML application -- took a while, because the instructions have subtly changed over the years and I was using an approach from years ago. I've now accepted that invitation.

Gave presentation to library folks

June 29th, 2017

It's in the svn repo in case we need it again.

Presentation for Lib folks; TEI conf work; Endings meeting

June 27th, 2017

With SA, wrote the presentation for Thursday, which will be useful in future too; did lots of work on chasing up and contacting SIG folks for the conference, and we had a meeting; Endings meeting and work on questionnaire.

Crossword paper: a bit of progress

June 23rd, 2017

Doing the expanded abstract for my crossword paper; lots of progress, but it's now a bit disorganized and will need a rewrite.

Work on papers

June 22nd, 2017

Worked on detailed char-by-char transcription/analysis of the ad for SA's paper, and did more research into standardized variants. Did a read-and-comment on a chapter for LG. Worked on the next (final)? draft of my paper for JAEH following JSR's copyedit and comments. Some remaining tweaks to be done there. Also started revision/expansion of my TEI 2017 paper.

Long meeting on SFO/ISE prompt book project

June 6th, 2017

Lots of details and a plan of action thrashed out; documentation in Google Drive docs.

XSLT course planning

June 2nd, 2017

Met with SB on Hangouts and went through the course outline, identifying some updates, fixes and improvements to be made next week.

Submission for TEI conference

May 9th, 2017

Finally got a chance to write my own submission for the conference. One hour to write it, half an hour to encode it (using jTEI -- found and reported a rendering bug) and 90 minutes to aggressively cut it down to the limit of 300 words. Grrr.

XML Workshop

May 5th, 2017

With SA, taught workshop on XML/TEI for Digital Pedagogy Symposium.

JAEH readthrough

April 24th, 2017

Read and annotated a second paper.

More work on XML workshop

April 20th, 2017

Finished one presentation, created templates and build process for distro, created doc type definition, transformation, and other stuff. We're about half done, I think.

Working on XML workshop

April 10th, 2017

Divided up the workload with SA, and continued work on my bit. I've done the first presentation.

Planning and starting work on XML workshop

April 6th, 2017

With SA, planned out the workshop for May, and then created a repo for it and started on the materials. Lots still to do here.

TEI Stylesheets meeting

April 6th, 2017

6am, from home.

TEI work

March 31st, 2017

With SB, preparing ticket work to discuss with the Stylesheets group next week.

TEI work

March 24th, 2017

Did a couple of tickets, one on FO and one that's related to the Stylesheets tests.

Work for Montreal presentation; DHSI; new workstudy

March 21st, 2017

Did a simple 1-para for the Innovation day presentation in Montreal; booked air tickets for that; met online with SB and discussed the DHSI package that needs to be done by the end of the month. Also signed up HE for the remainder of my workstudy hours on the Despatches.

TEI Conference meeting

March 15th, 2017

Meeting and work on the website, which has gone live today with the CfP. KT will announce it.

Stylesheets group meeting

March 2nd, 2017

6am to 7.30, TEI Stylesheets co-op group meeting. Made some progress with a ticket dealing with whitespace in biblStruct processing.

Stylesheets group meeting planning

February 24th, 2017

Met with SB online to figure out the plan for the next TEI Stylesheets online meeting next week.

Working on TEI 2017 with JJ

February 22nd, 2017

Copyedited the CfP and put it on the site. Also added a bunch of new code to the build process for the site to build HTML versions of pages and validate them; this requires PHP to build the pages then vnu.

TEI Conference work

January 30th, 2017

Correspondence of various sorts related to room booking and finance.

TEI Conference grant application

January 30th, 2017

Proofed, printed and walked over the app to NK.

TEI work

January 27th, 2017

Regular meeting with SB to look at a couple of tickets. Mainly talking about @next/@prev ticket, but also briefly about the plan to write a second ODD processor.

TEI Conference work

January 25th, 2017

Mainly working on the budget, nailing down costs...

TEI Conference work

January 24th, 2017

More planning and grant-drafting with JJ.