The author of the article I marked up last week got back to us with proofing corrections, so I did those; and John sent me the document he marked up last week, which I've tweaked a bit and validated. That document has a three-column table which lays out poetic stanzas next to each other, and this is problematic because the page size of our print document is too small to allow the table to sit comfortably without wrapping some lines, disrupting the stanza flow.
Finished marking up the latest article, and posted it on the site. One oddity: it has abbreviations, which we usually handle through an automatic system, but because the expansions are things such as document titles which need styling, they can't be expressed in an
@expan attribute; that means I had to do them manually. This would be better in P5, because
<expan> is a tag in P5.
Reached page 24 out of 33 in the current article.
Quotes which are glossed as part of a
<cit> tag are handled by inserting
<q>. In the article I'm currently marking up, the author has inserted a footnote inside one of these. This seems not unreasonable, although the DTD didn't allow
<note> as a child of
<orig>, so I customized the DTD. No need to put this on the server anywhere, as far as I can see, because Cocoon doesn't seem to have a copy at all.
We had rudimentary handling for quotes in French and Spanish (they need different open- and close-quote characters), but this was failing for the French abstract of the latest article, where a
<cit> tag containing a quote appears. I elaborated the system a little to allow for more flexibility, in both the PDF and XHTML output XSLT. Now, if you put a
"es") attribute on any element, quotation marks inside that element should be rendered using the appropriate quote marks.
Warning note to self: this doesn't handle nesting. In other words, it only looks up the tree for any ancestor which is
es, so if you later add an attribute on a lower-level element setting it back to
en, that won't make any difference. I don't anticipate this kind of embedding in ScanCan documents, though.
Did the abstracts and the first few paragraphs of the article.
...subject to a few queries sent to the editor. Next week I'll get to the actual article.
There is no translator tag in TEI, so marking up a biblio entry which is listed under the translator is problematic. I discovered that you can use the
<editor> tag with
@role="translator" to specify this, so I added a bit to the XHTML and PDF stylesheets to render this appropriately. This will carry forward to teiJournal.
In the process of marking up a long bibliography, I came up against an issue where a resp statement for a translator was not appearing in the PDF or XHTML output. This was because it was part of the
<analytic> element, so it was a rare occurrence. I fixed the error in both XSLT files, and then, when testing on the site, discovered that one of the other four instances of this construction (
<analytic>) was encoded slightly wrongly, so a translator's name was still not showing up. Fixed that, and documented it in the
Got half-way through a 9-page bibliography. More tomorrow...