Per editors, I've changed the way refs for blockquotes are handled in both the HTML and the PDF, and tested the results; I've also added Schematron rules constraining the use of italics for foreign words, and handled the fallout. I think we have both a clear and coherent policy based on Chicago 17 and a working set of safeguards that prevents (for example) proper nouns from being tagged as foreign (based on capitalization), and the same word or phrase being tagged twice in the same document. The Schematron enabled me to catch a lot more proper nouns that hadn't been noticed yet, and the second rule caught many repeated italicizations in the same text. There is a little bit of fancy footwork to do with the tagging of German, because regular German nouns are capitalized even when they're not proper; one article has a lot of those, and I've solved that by adding a language German language attribute to the tag which turns off the rule.
I have a lot more minor corrections from the last proofing to do, and there is one outstanding question relating to what rendering should be used with epigraphs; waiting to hear from HT on that. This volume may take another couple of weeks. 240 minutes.