Line-groups (stanzas) in block quotations were getting 0.25em space-after values which pushed the biblio reference info down a line, so I tweaked the XSLT to detect the situation and set the space-after to zero for the last line-group in a block-rendered quotation.
On JT's instructions, changed the order of docs in the volume, and made some fixes to the McCreesh text. Only Helgason edits remain, along with some outstanding bio and French abstract bits. Talked to PVH about vetting my vol 17 cover; he's around HCMC next week, so that'll be a good time to get it done.
Bios have been added for Aðalsteinsdóttir, Engilbertsson, Gunnbjörnsdóttir and Lingard, taking us up to 126 pages for the volume. Two remain outstanding, along with some French abstracts.
Finished marking up Lingard, going much faster towards the end because of Transformer. That's up on the site, along with some tweaks to other articles that I found as I went along. I also built the new volume, which comes in at 124 pages, but will be longer when the contributor bios are all there (we're missing Aðalsteinsdóttir, Batey, Engilbertsson, Gunnbjörnsdóttir, Jóhannsdóttir and Lingard).
Got half-way through marking up the final article for vol 17, distracted by meeting with PAB and the need to work on the Hulq stuff. Should be done tomorrow.
Corrections entered for these two articles; Lange still has an over-long abstract, so JT will need to edit it down to keep it from wrapping to the next page. Now working on Helgason, but that seems to be a bit chaotic, and it's difficult to know what to do about some of the problems.
Many fixes, and some questions still open for editorial decisions.
Started adding all the proofing changes for volume 17 reviews and articles, and got through all the reviews without problems, except for a lot of hassle with some non-Unicode SIL-font-based characters in one of the texts. Must remember to add a Unicode requirement to the authors' guidelines. Also discovered that we're not handling quotation marks in French language abstracts properly; I need to do this:
- Figure out how to enable the values of the @lang attribute in documents (something in the header, in P4).
- Add that to all the headers, and add the lang attribute to all the French abstracts.
- Add XSLT code to the
<q>handlers so that they insert the proper quotes when the ancestor has
- Check and test.
Adding this as a task for the future.
JT came by with an aging, much-edited document which used a range of Unicode and non-Unicode fonts to handle Old English and IPA characters. Worked through the document and got a usable PDF out the other end, although there are still some inconsistencies in margins. When we tried a test-print of the PDF, our printer had lost its marbles, so we had to give up. Finally figured out what was wrong with the printer: it thought the paper size for Tray 1 was JIS B5.
The Aðalsteinsdóttir, Engilbertsson and Gunnbjörnsdóttir article raised problems we had never faced before; it's been over a decade since the last time an article in this journal had multiple authors, and the XSLT processing wasn't set up to deal with it, so I've had to rewrite several bits. The best approach from the point of view of keeping the authors separate was to give each author his or her own
<docAuthor> tag in the front matter; each of these is now processed separately, leading to each author's name appearing on a separate line in the PDF and XHTML article output, and also to the authors each getting a separate entry in the Contributors list. This works fine for articles in PDF and XHTML, and also in the print volume rendering.
I also had to rewrite the XQuery for the Authors page on the site; it wasn't handling the three authors correctly, returning the first one three times instead of three distinct entries. That page could still use another look, actually; it's returning multiple copies of the name where the person has multiple articles or reviews. The XSLT is filtering this out, so the output is fine, but it should still be checked.