The Corrigenda page is now done, so the last major task is rendering the metadata in the teiHeader. I'm adapting and slimming down the old code, which is painfully repetitive.
Article, review and author listings pages are now being created and appear to be working. Fixed a number of bugs with CSS. Made the table sorting work in JS instead of by calls to the server for a new page (which static can't do); it's faster anyway. Remaining to do: Corrigenda, proofing list, and the XHTML front matter for articles and reviews, including the display of titles and the teiHeader rendering. After that I think we might be done, although of course we should be adding a bunch of Dublin Core to the headers.
I switched everything to XHTML5 to work around some CSS cascade annoyances, and I think it'll make more sense going forward anyway.
- Added an ant buildfile, with Saxon in the repo to do the XSLT.
- Implemented cleanup and re-copying of resources as part of the build.
- Fixed a range of rendering problems in the HTML.
- Fixed the menu so the correct button for the page is "pressed".
- Fixed a bunch of namespace problems (more to do, I think).
We may need to tweak the layout and rendering of this a bit; it's not ideal right now, and has some features (such as a row-numbering column) which were set up for the first translation and may not suit this one. Waiting for feedback. Also refined the tagging tools page a bit.
Encoded the rest of the introduction and started on the side-by-side translation. Some questions sent to HT on style and duplicate note numbers.
The new translation document came in. The translation's not long, but there's a fair bit of intro material and lots of footnotes. Did the header, front matter and first few paras, along with the bibliography; I've left old content from the last translation in place so it's clear how the encoding is structured.
I did hit one strange error which took a while to resolve. When I copy-pasted text from the Word file open in LibreOffice into Oxygen, I got errors because of the inclusion of non-Unicode chars, specifically 0x7 and 0x8. After opening the document.xml file in Oxygen to see what these were, it turned out that these were the positions of bookmarkStart and bookmarkEnd elements in the text. I don't need the bookmarks, so I search-and-replaced all the bookmark elements away and saved back into the Word file archive; no more problems.
Tweaked the tagging-tools page a bit too, to handle editor list encoding better.
Menus and headings now being included in output files, and site info files are now being generated. Also fixed some outdated info on the site, which is good. Need to post-process the menu to "press" appropriate button for certain pages.
I've fixed a wealth of weird biblStructs, replacing them with bibls, throughout the collection, and all documents are now being converted to XHTML. The next stage is to build a site around them.
I've made a lot of progress. This is the current state of play:
- Basic working XHTML documents are being produced from the P4 source.
- The main set of templates used to achieve this is harvested using a special XSLT stylesheet from the old XSLT files.
- However, many of those old templates prove to be broken in odd ways; they're a sort of hybrid between XSLT 1 and 2, and when run with Saxon 9 they cause errors, mainly due to string functions being called on input which is a sequence rather than a single item.
- All of these errors occur in the horrible MLA Bibliography processing library, and they're caused by oddities in specific biblStructs.
- Rather than fix the original code, which would mean maintaining two trees, it seems more sane to turn the old biblStructs into bibls where necessary; the output will be the same, but the code complexities should vanish, and we won't be producing any more biblStructs anyway.
So this gives me a path forward, and I'll start working through the odd cases when I have a chance.
Entered HT's proofing corrections for a couple of reviews.