Wards of the City of Victoria, 1873

Be it enacted by the Mayor and Council of the Corporation of the City of Victoria as follows:

  1. The City shall be divided into three Wards, namely, the Johnson Street Ward, the Yates Street Ward and the James Bay Ward.

    (a) The Johnson Street Ward shall include all that tract of land lying between the northern boundary line of the Corporation and a line running along the centre of Johnson Street from the ferry easterly, and a straight continuation of such line to the Eastern boundary line of the Corporation, district section No. 74, and thence in a straight line to the City boundary stone, on the Cadboro Bay Road at Mitchell's Nursery.

    (b) The Yates Street Ward shall include all that tract of land lying between the southern boundary line of Johnson Street Ward and a line commencing at the western extremity of Fort Street and running thence easterly along the centre of Fort Street and the Cadboro Bay Road to the City boundary stone at Mitchell's Nursery.

    (c) The James Bay Ward shall include all that tract of land lying between the southern boundary line of Yates Street Ward on the one hand and the southern boundary line of the Corporation on the other side.

  2. At the next election of Councillors and thenceforth there shall be two Municipal Councillors in Johnson Street Ward; three in Yates Street Ward; two in James Bay Ward; elected in manner provided by law.

  3. This Bylaw may be cited for all purposes as "The Municipal Elections Regulations Bylaw, 1873."

Passed the Municipal Council this 24th day of September, A. D. 1873
Wm. Dalby, Mayor
Wm. Leigh, C.M.C.

Published in the Daily British Colonist (12 October 1873).