Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)

This document is currently in draft. When it has been reviewed and proofed, it will be published on the site.

View the draft document.

Please note that it is not of publishable quality yet.

Bridge ward without (the 26. in num-
ber) consisting of the Borough of Southwarke in the Countie of Surrey.
HAuing treated of Wardes in London, on the North side the Thames (in number 25.) I am now to crosse ouer the said Riuer into the Bo-
rough of Southwarke
, which is also a Warde of London, without the walles, on the south side thereof, as is Portsoken on the East, and Faringdon extra on the West.
This Borough being in the countie of Surrey, consisteth of diuers stréetes, wayes, and winding lanes, all full of buildings, in-
habited: and first to begin at the West part thereof, ouer against the West suburbe of the Citie.
On the banke of the riuer Thames, there is now a continuall building of tenementes, about halfe a mile in length to the bridge. Then from the bridge straight towardes the South a continuall stréete, called long Southwarke, builded on both sides with diuers lanes and alleyes vp to S. Georges church, and beyond it through Blackman stréete, towardes new towne, (or Newington) the li-
berties of which Borough extend almost to the parish Church of New towne, aforesaid distant one mile from London bridge: and also Southwest almost to Lambith more then one mile from the said bridge. Then from the bridge along by the Thames East-
wardes is S. Olaues stréet hauing continuall building on both the sides, with lanes and alleyes vp to Battle bridge, to Horsedowne, and towardes Rother hith: also some good halfe mile in length from London bridge.
So that I accompt the whole continual buildings on the banke of the said riuer, from the West towardes the East to be more then a large mile in length.
Then haue ye from the entring towards the saide Horsedowne one other continuall street called Bermondes eye stréete, which stretcheth South, likewise furnished with buildings on both sides, almost halfe a mile in length, vp to the late dissolued Monasterie

of S. Sauiour called Bermondsey. And from thence is one long lane (so called of the length) turning West to Saint Georges church afore named. Out of the which late mentioned long lane breaketh one other street towardes the South, and by East, and this is called Kentish stréet, for that it is the way leading into that countrey: and so haue you the boundes of this Borough.
The Antiquities most notable in this Borough are these: first for ecclesiasticall, there was Beremondsey, an Abbey
An Abbey.
of blacke Monkes, S. Mary Oueries, a Priorie
A Priorie.
of Channons Regular, S. Thomas a colledge or Hospitall
A colledge & Hospitall.
for the poore, & the Loke a Lazar house in Kent stréet. Parish churches
A lazar house Parish chur-
there haue béen 6. wherof 5. do remaine viz. S. Mary Magdalens in the Priorie of S. Mary Ouerie. Now the same S. Marie Ouery is the parish Church for the said Mary Magdalen, and for S. Margaret on the hill, and is called S. Sauiour.
S. Margaret on the hill being put downe, is now a Court for Iustice, S. Thomas in the Hospitall serueth for a parish Church as afore. S. George a parish church as before it did: so doeth S. Olaue, and S. Mary Magdalen by the Abbey of Bermondsey.
There be also these fiue prisons or gaoles.
And the White Lyon, all in long Southwarke.
Houses most notable be these.
The Bishop of Rochesters house.
The Duke of Suffolkes house, or Southwarke place.
The Abbot of Hyde his house.
The Abbot of Battaile his houseMoEML is still seeking information regarding this entry. If you have information to contribute, please email the MoEML team.

Send information

The Stewes on the banke of the Thames.
And the Beare gardens there.
Now to returne to the West banke, there be the two Beare-
, the old and new places wherein be kept Beares, Bulles, and other beastes, to be bayted. As also Mastiues in seuerall ke-
nels are there nourished to bait them. These Beares and other beastes are there bayted in plottes of grounde, scaffolded about for the beholders to stand safe.
Next on this banke was sometime the Bordello (or Stewes) a place so called,
Liber mane script.
of certaine stew
The stew on the bank side.
houses priuiledged there, for the repaire of incontinent men to the like women of the which priui-
ledge, I haue read thus.
In a Parliament holden at Westminster the 8. of Henry the ſecond, it was ordayned by the commons and confirmed, by the King and Lordes, that diuers constitutions for euer should be kept within that Lordship or franchise, according to the old customes that had béene there vsed time out of mind. Amongst the which, these following were some, viz. That no stewholder or his wife should let or stay any single woman to go and come fréely at all times when they listed.
No stewholder to keepe any woman to borde, but she to borde abroad at her pleasure.
To take no more for the womans chamber in the wéeke then fourtéene pence.
Not to keepe open his dores vpon the holy daies.
Not to keepe any single woman in his house on the holy daies, but the Bailiefe to sée them voided out to the Lordship.
No single woman to be kept against her will that would leaue her sinne.
No stewholder to receiue any woman of religion, or any mans wife.
No single woman to take money to lie with any man, but she lie with him all night till the morrow.
No man to be drawne or inticed into any stewhouse.
The Constables, Bailife, and others euery weeke to search e-
uery stewhouse.

No Stewholder to keepe any woman that hath the perillous infirmitie of burning, nor to sell bread, ale, flesh, fish, wood, coale or any victuailes, &c.
These and many more orders were to be obserued, vpon great payne and punishment: I haue also séene diuers Pattents of con-
LIS. Mary Eborum.
namely one dated 1345. the ninetéenth of Edward the third. Also I find that in the fourth of Rychard the ſeconde, these Stewhouses belonging to VVilliam VValworth then Mayor of London, were farmed by Froes of Flaunders,
English peo-
ple disdained to be baudes: Froes of Flaū-
ders were wo-
men for that purpose.
and were spoyled by Walter Teighler, and other rebelles of Kent: Notwithstanding I finde that ordinances for the the same place, and houses were againe confirmed in the raigne of Henry the ſixt to be continued as before. Also Robert Fabian
Robert Fabian.
writeth that in the yeare 1506. the 21. of Henry the ſeuenth, the said stewe-
Stewhouses put downe by Henry the 7. for a time.
in Southwarke were for a season inhibited, and the dores closed vp, but it was not long (saith he) ere the houses there were set open againe for so many as were permitted, for (as it was said) whereas before were eightéene houses, from thenceforth were appointed to be vsed but twelue onely. These allowed stew-
houses had signes
Signes on the stewhouses.
on their frontes, towardes the Thames, not hanged out, but painted on the walles, as a Beares heade, the Crosse Keyes, the Gunne, the Castle, the Crane, the Cardinals Hatte, the Bell, the Swanne, &c. I haue heard auncient men of good credit report, that these single women were forbidden the rightes of the Church,
Single women forbidden rightes of the church.
so long as they continued that sinfull life, and were excluded from Christian buriall, if they were not recon-
ciled before their death. And therefore there was a plot of ground, (called the single womans Churchyard) appointed for them, farre from the parish Church.
In the yeare of Christ 1546. the 37. of Henry the eight, this row of stewes in Southwarke was put downe
Stewhouses put downe.
by the kings com-
mandement, which was proclaymed by sounde of Trumpet, no more to be priuiledged, and vsed as a common Bordell, but the inhabitantes of the same to keepe good and honest rule as in other places of this realme &c.
Then next is the Clinke, a Gayle or prison for the trespassers in those parts, Namely in old time for such as should brabble, frey,

breake the peace on the said banke, or in the Brothell houses, they were by the inhabitants there about apprehended, and committed to this Gayle, where they were straightly imprisoned.
Next is the Bishoppe of Winchesters house, or lodging, when hee commeth to this Cittie: which house was first builded by William Gifford, Bishoppe of Winchester, about the 1107. the ſeuenth of Henry the firſt, vpon a plot of grounde pertayning to the Prior of Bermondsey, as appeareth by a writte directed vnto the Barons of the Exchequer, in the yeare one thouſande thrée hundred ſixtie ſixe, the one and fortieth yeare of Edward the third, (the Bishops Sea being voide) for 8. £. due to the Monkes Bermondsey, for the Bishop of Winchesters lodging in South-
. This is a very fayre house well repayred, and hath a large wharfe and landing place called the Bishoppe of Winchesters staires.
Adioyning to this on the South side thereof is the Bishoop of Rochesters
Rochester house.
Inne or lodging by whome first erected, I doe not now remember mee to haue read, but well I wot the same of long time hath not béene frequented by any Bishop, and lyeth ruinous for lacke of reparations.
East from the Bishop of Winchesters house directly ouer against it, standeth a faire Church, called Saynt Mary, ouer the Rye, or Ouerie,
S. Mary Oue-
a Priorie, and now a parish church.
that is ouer the water. This Church or some other in place thereof was of olde time (long before the conquest) an house of sisters, founded by a maiden named Mary, vnto the which house and sisters she left (as was left to her by her parentes) the ouer-
sight, and profites of a crosse ferrie or trauerse ferrie ouer the Thames, there kept before that any bridge was builded. This house of sisters was after by Swithen, a noble Ladie, conuerted vnto a Colledge of Priestes, who in place of the ferrie builded a bridge of timber, and from time to time kept the same in good re-
parations, but lastly the same bridge was builded of stone, and then was this church againe founded for Channons Regular, by William Pont de le Arche, and William Dauncy, Knightes, Normans.
William Gifford Bishop of Winchester was a good benefactor

also: for hee (as some haue noted) builded the bodie of that church in the years 1106. the ſeuenth of Henry the firſt.
The Cannons first entred the said Church then.
Liber Rufen. Liber Ber-
King Henry the first by his Charter gaue them the church of S. Margaret in Southwarke.
King Stephen confirmed the gift of king Henry, and also gaue the stone house, which was Williams de Pont le Arche by Downegate.
This Priorie was burned about the yere 1207. wherefore the Chanons did found an Hospitall néere vnto their Priorie, where they celebrated vntill the Priorie was repaired: which Hospitall was after by consent of Peter de la Roch Bishop of Winchester remoued into the lande of Anicius Archdeacon of Surrey in the yeare 1228. a place where the water was more plentifull, and the ayre more holesome, and was dedicate to S. Thomas.
This Peter de Rupibus, or de la Roche founded a large chap-
pell of S. Mary Magdalen
Parish church of S. Mary Magdalen.
in the said Church of S. Mary Ouery, which Chappel was after appointed to be the parish church for the inhabitants neere adioyning.
This Church was againe newly builded, in the raigne of Ri-
the ſecond
and King Henry the fourth.
Iohn Gower
Iohn Gower was no knight neither had he any garland of Iuie & Roses but a Chaplet of foure Roses onely.
a learned Gentleman and a famous Poet, (but no knight as some haue mistaken it) was then as especiall bene-
factor to that worke, and was there buried on the North side of the said church vnder a tombe of stone, with his image also of stone lying ouer him: The haire of his heade aburne, long to his shol-
ders, but curling vp, a small forked bearde, and on his head a chap-
let, like a Coronet of foure Roses, therevpon an habite of purple, damasked downe to his féet, a collar of Esses gold about his necke, vnder his heade the likenesse of thrée bookes, which hee compiled. The first named Speculum Meditantis, written in French: The second Vox clamantis penned in Latine. The third Con-
fessio Amantis
, set forth in English.
This Priorie was surrendred to Henry the eight, the 31. of his raigne, the 27. of October, the yeare of Chriſt 1539. and was valued at 624. pounde, sixe shillinges sixe pence by the yeare.

About Christmasse next following, the church of the saide Priorie was purchased of the King by the inhabitantes of the Borough. Doctor Stephen Gardiner Bishop of Winchester putting to his helping hande, they made thereof a parish church,
Priorie of S. Marie Ouery made a parish church.
for the parish church of S. Mary Magdalen, on the south side of the said quire, and of S. Margaret on the hill which were made one parish of S. Sauiour.
There be monumentes in this Church of Robert Liliarde or Hiliarde Esquire, Margaret daughter to the Ladie Audley, wife to Sir Thomas Audley, Margaret wife to William Gre-
Esquire, and one of the heyres of William Spershut Esquire, William Greuel Esquire, Dame Katherine wife to Iohn Stoke Alderman, Robert Merfin Esquire, William Vndall Esquire, Lord Ospay Ferrar, Sir George Brewes Knight, Iohn Browne, Ladie Brandon, wife to Sir Thomas Brandon, William Lorde Scales, William Earle Warren, Dame Maud wife to Sir Iohn Peach, Lewknor, Dame Margaret Elrington, one of the heires of Sir Thomas Elrington, Iohn Bowden Esquire, Robert, S. Magill, Iohn Sandhurst, Iohn Gower Poet, Iohn Sturton E-
squire, Robert Rouse.
Now passing through S. Mary Ouers close, (in possession of the Lord Mountacute) and Pepper Alley into long Southwarke, on the right hand thereof the Market hill, where the leather is solde, there stood the late named parish church of S. Margaret,
S. Margaret on the hill made a Court of Iustice.
giuen to S. Mary Oueries by Henry the first, put downe and ioyned with the parish of S. Mary Magdaline, and vnited to the late dissolued Priorie church of S. Mary Ouery.
A part of this parish church of S. Margaret is now a Court, & wherein the Assises & sessions be kept, and the Court of Admiraltie
Court of Ad-
is also there kept. One other part of the same church is now a pri-
son called the Compter in Southwarke, &c.
Farther vp on that side, almost directly ouer against S. Georges church was sometime a large and most sumptuous house, builded by Charles Brandon late Duke of Suffolke, in the raign of Hen-
the eight
, which was called Suffolke house,
Suffolke house
but comming af-
terwardes into the Kinges hands, the same was called South-
warke place, and a Mint
A mint in Southwarke.
of coynage was there kept for the king.

To this place came king Edward the sixt, in the ſeconde of his raigne, from Hampton Court, and dined in it. He at which time made Iohn Yorke one of the Sheriffes of London knight, and then rode through the cittie to Westminster.
Queene Mary gaue this house to Nicholas Heth Archbishop of Yorke, and to his successors for euer, so be their Inne (or lodg-
ing for their repaire to London in recompence of Yorke house neare to Westminster, which King Henry her father had taken from Cardinall Wolsey, and from the sea of Yorke.
Archbishop Heth hath sold the same house to a merchant, or to certaine merchants, that pulled it downe, sold the lead, stone, iron &c. And in place therof builded many small cottages of great rents, to the increasing of beggers in that Burrough. The Archbishop bought Norwich house, or Suffolke place, neere vnto Charing Crosse, because it was neere vnto the Court, and left it to his suc-
cessors. Now on the south side to returne back again towards the bridge. Ouer against this Suffolke lane is the parrish Church of S. George,
Parish church of S. George.
sometime pertayning to the Priorie of Barmondsey, by the gift of Thomas Arderne, and Thomas his sonne, in the yeare 1122. There lie buried in this Church William Kerton Esquire, and his wiues 1464.
Then is the white Lyon a Gaole
White Lion a Gaole for Surrey.
so called, for that the same was a common hosterie for the receit of trauellers by that signe: This house was first vsed as a Gaole within these fortie yeares last, since the which time the prisoners were once remoued thence to an house in Newtowne, where they remained for a short time, and were returned backe again to the foresaid White Lyon, there to remaine as in the appointed Gaole for the Countie of Surrey.
Next is the Gaole or prison of the kinges Benche, but of what antiquitie the same is I knowe not. For I haue read that the Courts of the Kings Bench and Chauncery haue oft times béene remoued from London to other places, and so hath likewise the Gayles that serue those courtes, as in the yeare 1304, Edwarde the first commanded the Courtes of the kings Bench and the Ex-
chequer, which had remained seuen yeares at Yorke, to be remo-
ued to their old places at London. And in the yeare 1387. the 11. of Richard the 2. Robert Trasilian chief Iustice came to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified city of

This text is the corrected text. The original is 327 237 1
Couentry, and there sate by the space of a moneth, as Iustice of the kings Benches, and caused to be indighted in that Court, about the number of two thousand persons of that country, &c.
H. Kinghlon.
It séemeth therefore, that for that time, the prison or gayle of that court was not farre off. Also in the yeare 1392. the ſixtéenth of the ſame Richard, the Archbishop of Yorke, beeing Lord Chaun-
celor, for good will that he bare to his citie, caused the Kings Bench and Chauncery to be remooued from London to Yorke, but ere long they were returned to London.
Then is the Marshalsey an other Gayle or prison, so cal-
led, as pertayning to the Marshalles of England. Of what con-
tinuaunce kept in Southwarke I haue not learned: but like it is, that the same hath beene remoueable, at the pleasure of the Mar-
shalles: for I finde, that in the yeare, one thouſand thrée hundred ſeuentie ſixe, the fiftieth of Edward the third, Henry Percy (béeing Marshall) kept his prisoners in the citie of London, where hauing committed one Iohn Prendargest, of Norwiche, contrary to the li-
berties of the Cittie of London, the citizens (by perswasion of the Lord Fitzwalter2 theyr Standart-bearer) tooke Armour and ranne with great rage to the Marshalles Inne, brake vp the gates, brought out the prisoner, and conueyed him away, minding to haue brent the Stockes in the middest of their citie, but they first sought for sir Henry Percy to haue punished him, as I haue noted in my Annalles.
More, about the Feast of Easter next following, Iohn Duke of Lancaster, hauing caused all the whole Nauy of England, to bee gathered togither at London: It chaunced a certaine Esquire, to kill one of the ship men, which act, the other shipmen taking in ill part, they brought their suite into the kings court of the Marshalsey, which then as chaunsed (saith mine Author) was kept in South-
: but when they perceiued that Court to bee too fauoura-
ble to the murtherer, and further, that the Kings warrant was also gotten for his pardon, they in great furie ranne to the house, wherein the murtherer was imprisoned, brake into it,
Saylers brake vp the Mar-
and brought forth the prisoner, with his Gyues on his legges: then thrust they a knife to his heart, and sticked him, as if he had béene a

Hogge, then after this, they tyed a rope to his Gyues, and drew him to the gallowes, where when they hanged him, as though they had done a great act, they caused the Trompettes to bee soun-
ded before them to theyr Shippes, and there in great triumphe they spent the rest of the day.
Also the Rebels of Kent,
Rebels of Kent brake vp the Marshalsey.
in the yeare 1381. brake downe the houses of the Marshalsey, and Kings Bench in Southwarke, tooke from thence the prisoners, brake downe the house of Sir Iohn Imworth3, then Marshall of the Marshalsey, and Kings Bench, &c. After this, in the yeare, 1387. the eleuenth of Richard the ſecond, the morrow after Bartholomewe day, the King kept a great Councell in the Castle of Nottingham, and the Marshalsey of the King, was then kept at Lugborough, by the space of sixe dayes or more. In the yeare 1443. Sir Walter Many was Marshall of the Marshalsey, the twentie two of Henry the ſixt. In the yeare 1504 the prisoners of the Marshalsey (then in Southwarke) brake out, and many of them béeing taken, were executed, especially such as had béene committed for Felony or Treason. From thence, towards London Bridge, on the same side, be many fayre Innes, for re-
ceipt of trauellers, by these signes: the Spurre, Christopher, Bull, Quéenes head, Tabarde, George, Harte, Kings head, &c. Amongst the which, the most auncient, is the Tabard, so called of the signe, which (as we now terme it) is of a Iacquit, or sléeuelesse coat, whole before, opē on both sides, with a square collor, winged at the shoulders: a stately garment of olde time, com-
monly worne of Noble men and others, both at home and a-
broade in the Warres, but then (to witte in the warres) theyr Armes embrodered, or otherwise depicte vppon them, that euery man by his Coate of Armes might bee knowne from others: but now these Tabardes are onely worne by the Heraults, and bee called their coates of Armes in seruice: For the Inne of the Tabard, Geffrey Chauser
Geffrey Chauser.
Esquire, the most fa-
mous Poet of England, in commendation thereof, in the raigne of E. the 3. writeth thus.
It befell in that season, on a day,
In Southwarke at the Tabart, as I lay,

Ready to wend on my Pilgrimage,
To Canterbury, with full deuout courage:
That night was comen into the Hosterie,
Well nine and twentie, in a companie:
Of sundry folke, by aduenture yfall,
In fellowship, and Pilgrimes were they all,
That toward Canterbury, woulden ride,
The stables and chambers, weren wide
And well we were eased, at the best, &c.
Within this Inne was also the lodging of the Abbot of Hide,
The Abbot of Hide his lodging.
(by the Citie of Winchester) a faire house for him and his traine, when he came to the citie to Parliament, &c.
Then next haue yée the Hospitall of Saint Thomas, first foun-
ded by Richard Pryor of Bermondsey, in the Selerars ground a-
gainst the wall of the Monastery, in the yeare, 1213. hee named it the Almerie, or house of AlmesMoEML is still seeking information regarding this entry. If you have information to contribute, please email the MoEML team.

Send information
, for conuarts and poore children, for the which ground, the Pryor ordained that the Almoner should paye tenne shillings foure pence yearely to the Selerar at Michæl-
This Hospitall was againe new founded, by Peter de Rupi-
S. Thomas Hospitall the second time founded.
Bishop of Winchester, for Cannons, Regular, in place of the first Hospitall: hee increased the rent thereof, to thrée hundreth fortie foure pound by the yeare: thus was this Hospitall holden of the Pryor and Abbot of Bermondsey, till the yeare, one thouſand foure hundred twentie eight, at which time a composition was made betwéene Thomas Thetforde, Abbot of Bermondsey, and Nicholas Buckland, Maister of the sayde Hospitall of Saint Thomas, for all the landes and Tenements which were holden, of the sayd Abbot and Couent in Southwarke, or else-
where, for the olde Rent to bee payde vnto the sayde Abbot and Co-
There bee the Monuments in this Hospitall Church, of Syr Robert Chamber Knight, William Fnes, Lord Saye, Richard Chaunar Esquire, Iohn Gloucestar Esquire, Adam Atwoode E-
squire, Iohn Warde Esquire, Michæll Cambridge Esquire, Wil.

West Esquire: Iohn Golding Esquire: Iohn Benham Gentleman: George Kirks gentlemā: Thomas Knynton gentleman: Thomas Baker Gentleman: Robert sonne to sir Thomas Fleming: Agnes Wife to Syr Walter Dennis Knight, daughter and one of the heires of Syr Robet Danvars: Iohn Euarey Gentle-
man, &c.
This Hospitall beeing in the yeare 1220. made to dispend thrée hundred fortie foure pound by the yeare, was by the visitors, in the yeare 1538. valued at 266. pound seuentéene shillings 6. pence, and was surrendred to Henry the 8. in the thirtieth of his raigne. In the yeare 1552. the citizens of London, hauing purchased the voyde suppressed Hospitall, of Saint Thomas in Southwarke, in the moneth of Iuly, began the reparations thereof, for poore, impo-
tent, lame, and diseased people, so that in the moneth of Nouember next following, the sicke and poore people, were taken in.
The 3. foun-
dation of S. Thomas Hos-
, by the Cititizens of London.
And in the yeare 1553. on the tenth of April, King Edward the sixt, in the ſeuenth of his raigne, gaue to the Mayor, Communaltie, and cittizens of London, to be a workehouse for the poore and idle persons of the ci-
tie, his house of Bride-well, and seuen hundred Markes lands, of the Sauoy rents (which Hospitall he had suppressed) with all the beddes, bedding, and other furniture belonging to the same, towards the maintenance of the said workehouse of Bridewell, and of this Hos-
pitall of Saint Thomas in Southwarke
. This gift, the King confirmed by his Charter, dated the twentie ſixe of Iune, next following, and willed it to be called the Kings Hospitall in South-
The Church of this Hospitall, which of olde time serued for the Tenements neare adioyning and pertaining to the said Hospitall, remaineth now as it was before, a parish church.
But now to come to Saint Olaues stréete: on the Banke of the riuer of Thames, is the parish church of Saint Olaue, a fayre and méetely large church, but a farre larger Parrish, especially of Aliens or Straungers, and poore people: in which Church, there lyeth intombed, Syr Iohn Burcettur Knight, 1466.
Ouer against this Parish Church, on the South side the Stréete, was somtime one great house builded of Stone,

with arched gates, pertained to the Prior of Lewes
Prior of lewe his Inne.
in Suffex, and was his lodging when hee came to London: it is now a com-
mon hostery for trauellers, and hath to signe, the Walnut-trée. Then East from the said Parish church of Saint Olaue, is a Keye, In the yeare, 1330. by the license of Simond Swanlond, Mayor of London, builded by Isabell widow to Hamond Goodchepe. And next thereunto, was then a great house, of stone and timber, be-
longing to the Abbot of Saint Augustin, without the walles of Can-
, which was an auncient péece of worke, and séemeth to bee one of the first builded houses on that side the riuer, ouer against the citie: It was called The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified Abbots Inne of S. Augustine in Southwarke, and was sometime holden, of the Earles of Warren and Surrey, as appeareth by a déede, made 1281. which I haue read, and may bee Englished thus.
Wil. Thorne.
To all to whom this present writing shall come, Iohn Earle Warren, sendeth gréeting. Know yée, that we haue altogither remi-
sed, and quite claymed for vs and our heires for euer, to Nicholas Abbot of Saint Augustines of Canterburie, and the Couent of the same, and their successors, suite to our court of Southwarke, which they owe vnto vs, for all that Messuage and houses thereon builded, and all their appurtenances, which they haue of our Fée in South-
, scituate vpon the Thames, betwéene the Bridge-house, and church of Saint Olaue. And the said Messuage, with the buildings thereon builded, and all their appurtenances to them and their suc-
cessors, we haue graunted in perpetuall almes to hold of vs, and our heires, for the same: sauing the seruice due to any other persons, if any such bee, then to vs: and for this remitte and graunt, the said Abbot and couent, haue giuen vnto vs. 5. shillings of rent yeare-
ly in Southwarke, and haue receiued vs and our heires in all bene-
fices which shall bee in their church for euer. This suite of Court, one William Graspeis was bound to do to the said Earle, for the said Messuage: and heretofore to acquit in all things, the church of Saint Augustine, against the said Earle.
This house of late time, belonged to Sir Anthony Sentle-
, then to Warham Sentlegar, &c. And is now called Sentlegar house, but diuided into sundrie tenements. Next is the Bridge-
, so called as being a Store house, for stone, timber, or whatso-

pertaining to the building or repairing of London bridge.
This house séemeth to haue taken beginning, with the first founding of the bridge either of stone or timber: it is a large plot of ground, on the banque of the Riuer Thames: containing diuers large buil-
dings, for stowage of things necessarie, towards reparation of the said bridge.
There are also diuers Garners, for laying vp of Wheate, and other grayners for seruice of the Citie, as néede requireth.
Garners for corne in the Bridge-house.
Moreouer there be certaine Ouens builded in number tenne: of which sixe be very large, the other foure being but halfe so bigge. These were purposely made to bake out the bread corne of the sayd Grayners, to the best aduantage for reléefe of the poore Citizens, when néede should require. Sir Iohn Throstone knight, sometime an Embro-
theror, then a Goldsmith, one of the Sheriffes, 1516. gaue by his Testament towards the making of these Ouens, two hundreth pounde, which thing was performed by his Execu-
tors. Sir Iohn Munday Goldsmith, then being Mayor: there was of late, for the enlarging of the sayde Bridge-house,
Ouens in the Bridge house.
taken in, an olde Brew-house, called Goldings, which was giuen to the Citie by George Monex, sometime Mayor, and in place thereof, is now a faire Brew-house newe builded,
A brew-house builded in the Bridge-house.
for seruice of the Cittie with Béere.
Nexte, was the Abbotte Battailes InneMoEML is still seeking information regarding this entry. If you have information to contribute, please email the MoEML team.

Send information
Abbot of Bar-
taile his InneMoEML is still seeking information regarding this entry. If you have information to contribute, please email the MoEML team.

Send information
betwixt the Bridge-house, and Battaile Bridge, likewise on the banque of the riuer of Thames: the walkes and gardens thereunto appertaining, on the other side of the way, before the gate of the said house, and was called the Maze: There is now an Inne, called the Flower de Luce, for that the signe is thrée Flower de Luces. Much other buildings of small tenements are thereon builded, replenished with strangers and other, for the most part poore people.
Then is Battaile bridge, so called of Battaile Abbey, for that it standeth on the ground, and ouer a water course (flowing out of Thames) pertaining to that Abbey, and was therefore both buil-
ded and repaired, by the Abbots of that house, as being hard adioy-
ning to the Abbots lodging.
Beyond this Bridge, is Bermondsey stréete, turning South,

in the South end whereof, was sometime a Pryorie, or Abbey, of Saint Sauior, called Bermonds Eye in Southwarke, founded by Alwin Childe, a citizen of London, in the yeare, 1081.
Peter, Richard, Obstert, and Vmbalde Monkes, de Charitate came vnto Bermondsey, in the yeare 1089. and Peter was made first Pryor there, by appointment of the Pryor of the house, called Charitie in France: by which meanes, this Pryorie of Bermondsey (being a Cell to that in France) was accounted a Pryorie of Aliens. In the yeare, 1094. deceased Alwine Childe founder of this house. Then William Rufus gaue to the Moonks, his manor of Bermond-
, with the appurtenances, and builded for them there, a new great church.
Robert Blewet, Bishop of Lincolne (King Williams Chan-
celor) gaue them the mannor of Charlton, with the appurtenances. Also Geffrey Martell, by the graunt of Geffrey Magdauile, gaue them the land of Halingbury, and the tythe of Alferton, &c.
More, in the yeare 1122. Thomas of Arderne and Thomas his son, gaue to the Moonks of Bermonds
Hide of South-
to the Monkes of Bermondsey.
Eye, the Church of Saint George in Southwarke, &c. In the yeare, 1165. King Henry the se-
cond, confirmed to them the hyde or territorie of Southwarke, and Laygham Wadden, with the land of Coleman, &c. In the yeare 1371. the Pryories of Aliens, through out England, being seized into the Kings hands, Richard Denton an English man, was made Pri-
or of Bermondsey: To whom was committed the custodie of the said Pryory, by the letters patents of king E. the 3. sauing to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified king, the aduowsons of churches. In the yeare, 1380. the 4. of Richard the 2. this Pryorie was made a Dinison (or frée English) for The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified fine of 200.
Bermonds Eye made an Abbey.
Markes, paide to the kings Hanaper in the Chauncery. In the yeare, 1399. Iohn Attelborough, Pryor of Bermondsey, was made the first Abbot of that house, by Pope Boniface the ninth, at the suite of King Richard the second.
In the yeare, 1417. Thomas Thetforde Abbot of Bermond-
, held a Plea in the Chauncery against the King,
Abbot of Ber-
held Ple against the King, and pre-
for the manors of Preston, Bermondsey, and Stone, in the Countie of Summerset, in the which suite the Abbot preuailed, and recouered against the King.

In the yeare, 1539. this Abbey was valued to dispend by the yeare, foure hundred seuentie foure pound fouretéene shillings foure pence halfe penny, and was surrendred to Henry the eight, the one and thirtieth of his raigne: the Abbey church was then pul-
led downe, by sir Thomas Pope Knight, and in place thereof, a good-
ly house builded of stone and timber, now pertaining to the Earles of Sussex.
There are buried in that church, Sir William Bowes knight, and Dame Elizabeth his wife. Sir Thomas Pikeworth Knight: Dame Anne Audley: George, sonne to Iohn Lord Audley. Iohn Winkefield Esquire. Sir Nicholas Blonket knight. Dame Brid-
, wife to William Trussell. Holgraue Baron of the Exche-
quer, &c.
Next vnto this Abbey church, standeth a proper church of S. Mary Magdalē,
Pariw Church of Saint Mary Magdalen.
builded by the Pryors of Bermondsey, seruing for the resort of the inhabitants, (tenants to the Pryor, or Abbots neare adioyning) there to haue their diuine seruice: this church remai-
neth and serueth as afore, and is called a Parish church.
Then in Kent stréete is a Lazer house,
The Loke a Lazar house in Kent streete.
for Leprous people: called the Loke in Southwarke: the foundation whereof I finde not. Now hauing touched diuers principall parts of this Borough, I am to speake somewhat of gouernment, and so to ende.
This Borough vpon petition made by the citizens of Lon-
Liberties of Southwarke, farmed by the Citizens of London.
to Edward the first, in the firſt yeare of his raigne, was for di-
uers causes, by Parliament, graunted to them for euer, yeelding into the Exchequer the Fée firme, of tenne pound by the yeare: which grant was confirmed by Edward the 3. who in The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified third of his raigne, gaue them license to take a tole towards the charge of pauing the said Borough with stone.
Southwarke first paued.
Henry the fourth confirmed the graunt of his predecessors: so did Edward the 4. &c.
But in the yeare 1550. King Edward the 6. for the summe of sixe hundreth fortie seuen pound two shillings and one penny, payde into his court of Augmentations, & reuenewes of his crowne, granted to the Mayor and Communaltie, all his lands & tenements in Southwarke, except & reserued the capitall Messuage, two man-
sions called Southwarke Place, late the Duke of Suffolkes, and all the gardens and lands to the same appertaining: the Parks

and the Messuage called the Antilope. Moreouer, he gaue them the Lordship and Mannor of Southwark,
The Lordship and Mannor of Southwarke pertaining to the Monastery of Bermond-
with all members and rights thereof, late pertaining to the Monastery of Bermondsey. And all Messuages, places, buildings, rents, Courts, Waffes and streyes, to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified same appertaining, in the Countie of Surrey, except as is before except. He also granted vnto them, his Manor & Borough of South-
The Kings Mannor, Bo-
row of South-
with al the members, rights & appurtenances, late of the pos-
session of the Archbishop of Canterbury & his sea, in Southwarke. Moreouer for The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified sum of 500. Marks, he granted to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified said Mayor and Communaltie, and their successors, in and through the Borough and Towne of Southwarke: And in all the Parishes of S. Sauiour, S. Olaue, and S. George, and the Parish of S. Thomas Hospitall, now called the Kings Hospitall: And elsewhere in the saide Towne and Borough of Southwarke, and Kentish streete, Bermondsey streete, in the Parish of Newington, All Waiffes and streyes, trea-
sure troue, All fellons goods, &c. within the Parrishes and precinct aforesaid, &c. The returne of writtes, processes, and warrants, &c. togither with a faire in
Faire in South-
the whole Towne, for thrée dayes: to wit, the 7. 8. and 9. of September, yearly, with a Court of Pye-pow-
: A view of Franke pledge, with Attachments, Arrests, &c. Also to arrest all Fellons, and other Malefactors, within their precinct, and send them to Ward, and to Newgate. Prouided that nothing in that graunt should be preiudiciall to the Steward and Marshall of the Kings house. The same premisses to be holden of the Mannor of East Greenwitch, in the Countie of Kent, by fealtie in frée socage. Dated at Westminster the 23. day of Aprill, in the 4. of his raigne. All which was also confirmed by Parliament, &c. And the same year in the Whitson wéeke, in a Court of Aldermen, kept at the Guild-Hall of London, Syr Iohn Aylophe Knight, was sworne the first Alderman
First Alder-
man of South-
of the Bridge Warde without, and made vp the number of 26. Aldermen of London.
Borough of Southwarke, one of the Wardes of London.
This Borough at a subsidie to The special character yͤ (LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH LATIN SMALL LETTER E ABOVE) does not display on all browsers and has been replaced by its simplified king, yéeldeth about 1000. Marks, or 800. pounds, which is more then any one Citie in England pay-
eth, except the Citie of London. And also the Muster of men
Muster of men in Southwarke
in this Borough, doth likewise in number surpasse all other citties, except London. And thus much for the Borough of Southwarke: one of the 26. Wards of London: which hath an Alderman. Deputies 3.

Suburbes without the Walles.
and a Bayliffe. Common Councell none. Constables 16. Scauin-
gers 6. Wardmote Inquest 20. And is taxed to the fiftéen, at 17.s.8.d.


  1. number reads 327 (NAP)
  2. Likely Walter Fitzwalter, third Baron Fitzwalter based on the years he lived. (JB)
  3. Kingston corrects the name to Sir Richard Imworth in Kingston 1908 (JB)


  • Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020,

Cite this page

MLA citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London, edited by Janelle Jenstad, U of Victoria, 26 Jun. 2020,

Chicago citation

Stow, John, and William fitz-Stephen. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). The Map of Early Modern London. Ed. Janelle Jenstad. Victoria: University of Victoria. Accessed June 26, 2020.

APA citation

Stow, J., & fitz-Stephen, W. 2020. Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark). In J. Jenstad (Ed), The Map of Early Modern London. Victoria: University of Victoria. Retrieved from

RIS file (for RefMan, EndNote etc.)

Provider: University of Victoria
Database: The Map of Early Modern London
Content: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

A1  - Stow, John
A1  - fitz-Stephen, William
ED  - Jenstad, Janelle
T1  - Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)
T2  - The Map of Early Modern London
PY  - 2020
DA  - 2020/06/26
CY  - Victoria
PB  - University of Victoria
LA  - English
UR  -
UR  -
ER  - 


RT Web Page
SR Electronic(1)
A1 Stow, John
A1 fitz-Stephen, William
A6 Jenstad, Janelle
T1 Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)
T2 The Map of Early Modern London
WP 2020
FD 2020/06/26
RD 2020/06/26
PP Victoria
PB University of Victoria
LA English
OL English

TEI citation

<bibl type="mla"><author><name ref="#STOW6"><surname>Stow</surname>, <forename>John</forename></name></author>, and <author><name ref="#FITZ1"><forename>William</forename> <surname>fitz-Stephen</surname></name></author>. <title level="a">Survey of London: Bridge Ward Without (Southwark)</title>. <title level="m">The Map of Early Modern London</title>, edited by <editor><name ref="#JENS1"><forename>Janelle</forename> <surname>Jenstad</surname></name></editor>, <publisher>U of Victoria</publisher>, <date when="2020-06-26">26 Jun. 2020</date>, <ref target=""></ref>.</bibl>