The Treaties Themselves
For copies and transcripts and translations of the treaties in SENCOTEN and Lekwungen see the Treaties Tab.
- There is a lesson plan for teaching about the Vancouver Island Treaties on the Governor’s Letters website.
Recorded Oral Histories
- Elliott, Dave. Saltwater People, as told by Dave Elliott Sr.: A Resource Book for the Saanich Native Studies Program, edited by Janet Poth. Saanichton, BC: School District 63, 1990.
- Pagett, Frank. “105 Years in Victoria and Saanich! Chief David Recalls White Man's Coming; 80 Years Rent Unpaid”. Victoria Daily Times (Victoria, BC), 14 July 1934, 1. (Contains the oral History of David Latasse)
- For Bobby Yacklam's account see newspaper article by Chief Buffalo Child Long Lance, “Greatest Real Estate Deal Recorded,” Vancouver Sunday Sun (Vancouver), 4 June 1922.
- For a transcript of Dick Whoakum's testimony before the McKenna/McBride Commission see BC Union of Indian Chiefs website. BC Union of Indian Chiefs, “UBCIC Library and Archives,”: http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/library.
- For Joe and Jenny Wyse's account see newspaper article by Beryl Cryer, “Ki'et'sa'kun of Nanaimo: Telling How Governor Douglas Renamed Him ‘Coal Tyee,’” The Victoria Daily Colonist (Victoria, BC), 5 March 1933; reproduced in Two Houses Half-buried in the Sand: Oral Traditions of the Hul'q'umi'num' Coast Salish of Kuper Island and Vancouver Island, edited by Chris Arnett, Vancouver: Talonbooks, 2007, 186-92.
Published Secondary Sources (Print)
- Bowsfield, Hartwell, editor. Fort Victoria Letters 1846-1851. Winnipeg: Hudson’s Bay Record Society, 1979.
- British Columbia. Papers Connected with the Indian Land Question, 1850-1875. Victoria: Queen’s Printer, 1875.
- Duff, Wilson. “The Fort Victoria Treaties.” BC Studies, 3 (1969): 3-57.
- Foster, Hamar. “The Saanichton Bay Marina Case: Imperial Law, Colonial History and Competing Theories of Aboriginal Title.” UBC Law Review (1989): 629-650.
- Foster, Hamar. “Letting Go the Bone: The Idea of Indian Title in British Columbia, 1849- 1927.” In Essays in the History of Canadian Law, British Columbia and the Yukon, Vol VI edited by Hamar Foster and John McLaren, 28-86. Toronto: University of Toronto Press and the Osgoode Society for Legal History, 1995.
- Foster, Hamar and Allen Grove. “’Trespassers on the Soil’: United States v. Tom and a New Perspective of the Short History of Treaty Making in Nineteenth Century British Columbia.” In The Power of Promises: Rethinking Indian Treaties in the Pacific Northwest, edited by Alexandra Harmon, 89-127. Seattle: University of Washington, 2008.
- Frogner, Raymond. “’Innocent Legal Fictions’: Archival Convention and the North Saanich Treaty of 1852.” Archivaria, 70 (Fall 2010): 45-94.
- Harris, Cole. Making Native Space: Colonialism, Resistance, and Reserves in British Columbia. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2002.
- Keddie, Grant. Songhees Pictorial: A History of the Songhees People as Seen by Outsiders, 1790-1912. Victoria: Royal British Columbia Museum, 2003.
- Lutz, John. Makúk: A New History of Aboriginal-White Relations. Vancouver: UBC, 2008.
- McNeill, Kent. “Negotiated Sovereignty: Indian Treaties and the Acquisition of American and Canadian Territorial Rights in the Pacific Northwest.” In The Power of Promises: Rethinking Indian Treaties in the Pacific Northwest, edited by Alexandra Harmon, 35-55. Seattle: University of Washington, 2008.
- Ormsby, Margaret.“Introduction,” Fort Victoria Letters 1846-1851. Hartwell Bowsfield, editor. Winnipeg: Hudson’s Bay Record Society, 1979, xi-xcv
Dissertations, theses, graduate research papers
- Knighton, Janice. “The Oral History of the Saanich Douglas Treaties: A Treaty for Peace.” Master’s thesis, University of Victoria, 2004. [LINK TO PDF on IGOV site]
- Shankel, George. “The Development of Indian Policy in British Columbia.” PhD dissertation, University of Washington, 1945.
- Vallance. Neil, Sharing The Land: The Formation of the Vancouver Island (or ‘Douglas’) Treaties of 1850-1854 in Historical, Legal and Comparative Context. Ph.d. Dissertation, UVic Law, 2015.
- Van Wart, Harriet. "A Bibliography and Discussion of Douglas Treaty Materials: Phase One of Research on the Tsawout First Nation's Douglas Treaty.” Master’s thesis, University of Victoria, 2001.
- R. v August and Bartleman,  1 CNLR 68.
- R v Bartleman,  55 BCLR 78 (BCCA).
- R v Morris, 2006 SCC 59  2 SCR 915.
- R v White and Bob,  50 DLR (2nd) 613.
- Saanichton Marina Ltd. v Claxton,  3 CNLR 46.
- Summaries of the Presentations from the 2017 Conference First Nations, Land, and James Douglas: Indigenous and Treaty Rights in the Colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia,1849-1864 held at the Songhees Wellness Centre in Victoria, February 24-26th 2017.
- VI Treaties: The Vancouver Island Treaties of 1850-54 2012, Presentations at the Conference on Pre-confederation Treaties 2012
- Blossom, Ashlee. “Reenactment of the Douglas Treat Signing on PKOLS.” Video. Accessed 20 August 2015.