Tagged some echo figures in 1840 Chartist, and in the process refined the detection algorithm a bit to cope with full-stanza echoes.
Met with K & K and talked through our process regarding imperfect rhymes; wrote up the result in our documentation. Got PS to help with debugging a particular rendering issue with inverted line wraps, then documented the method of encoding those in the schema. Fixed a couple of bugs reported by KAF, and started thinking through a process that might help encoders detect when rhymes in a long poem are echoes of rhymes earlier on.
2nd half of Feb timesheets done. No TS for VL because she didn't clock any hours.
KAF reported that her December timesheets had not been processed; went through the whole history for her and KSHF with Payroll, and she was right, so we re-did and re-submitted those timesheets. Then worked on some CSS to show how to handle a line wrapped above its end. After that, reworked the CSS that shows expanding page-images in the rendered view to work around a problem with Chrome, and made the poem div scroll so that you can see the rhymes and the poem easily. Tagged a poem myself in the middle of all this, and began the process of tracking down and fixing instances of rhymeHalf where both the first and the second instance are tagged that way. The first should be normal tagging. There are nearly 400 of those, but fixing them is not too hard, and it's also an opportunity to see how people have been tagging.
After tagging one more 1840 Chartist poem (I'm moving slowly but steadily through them), I went back to our documentation and revised the section on rhyme tagging to reflect changes we've made in our practices due to growing experience.
Met with the RAs doing indexing and discussed the problem with file naming yesterday; they raised a couple more questions about how to handle illustrations which are inserted rather than part of the regular page run, and we also made a long-term plan to make more changes to filenames in a mechanical operation to incorporate the series numbers, to be done only after the indexing work on the two current periodicals has finished. Wrote to AC to get feedback on these questions.
After doing some tweaks to the poem rendering and encoding a poem, I looked at the diagnostics to discover there were 609 broken links from the db to images no longer where they were. It turned out the RAs has been re-organizing Cornhill and Once a Week images into series folders, but not updating the db. After some careful analysis I was able to do a series of search-and-replace operations that fixed the problems, but it's a bit hairy doing that on the live db. We're having a meeting tomorrow to discuss filenaming.
Met with the encoders and talked about some issues, including broken lines (now documented properly and handled in XSLT) and original footnotes (handled OK, but not properly documented yet). Fixed some reported bugs in XSLT and JS handling of milestones. Encoded a couple of poems myself.
Spent some time with SK learning about the indexing process, and took a couple of pictures with a view to documenting it in a more user-friendly way through a page on the site. The spent some time adding the first couple of sections to a new part of the ODD/HTML documentation aimed at programmers, so that anyone in HCMC could step in and do the tasks needed to keep the process moving along if I'm not available. I need to do a lot more of this.
Tweaked the diagnostics to allow case-insensitivity in hashtags, then fixed a couple of issues showing in the diagnostics.