The ODD file is coming along slowly. I hit a bug in the current ODD schema, and another in the Jenkins build, and fixed the latter to get a stable schema I could validate my ODD file against.
Very productive meeting with RRR and DBM on expectations and plans for the GIS cluster. The basic outcome is that we need to start by defining the exact boundaries of the areas we're focusing on (JSR should do that); then they will contact the UBC library to find out exactly which fire insurance maps are available and how accessible they are (digitized or not?), and enumerate other resources. The basic plan is to start with a modern streetmap as a base layer, then create polygons which are linked to a database of properties and a separate database of addresses; these would most likely be set up by us, and populated (at least initially) from the Properties db info we have, then supplemented with info from the city directories. The objective is to have a polygon for every incarnation of every property during the period in question, linked to any addresses and property descriptions it may have had. Properties are then linked to titles and owners, etc., as covered by our other developing plans (the XML schema among other things).
Very useful meeting with members of the Oral History cluster. In the follow-up, we've learned about their media digitization standards, the XML format they're working with for metadata and transcription, and data storage and replication plans. We'll want to set up data replication processes both to provide extra backup for them and to ensure easy access to data locally.
I've started mapping out XML structures for the properties and all their contents, and sent some queries to JS-R. Looks like a TEI extension with a lot of specialist elements and attributes is what we need, and I've started an ODD file.
It seems that video conferencing will be done through BlueJeans, so SA and I tested this out; there's a simple deb for Linux, and it works fine in Firefox, with around a half-second delay between our desks. UVic supports it.
Met with JS-R and SA to discuss the hardware and software infrastructure to support each of the research clusters. Subsequent discussion with GN. Points arising:
- We will create a VM for the Landscapes project, running MariaDB, PHP, and ultimately Tomcat 8 with eXist. It will mount around 4TB of disc space.
- The Adaptive DB code will be updated to handle binary doc uploads.
- We will arrange with tech-savvy nodes for them to replicate our data probably through rsync cron jobs.
- Sysadmin will administer the VM for the usual cost.
- We will consult with individual research clusters asap to get a basic idea of their needs and skill levels with regard to data collection and entry.
- We will put together a presentation for the meeting in May (20th-22nd or thereabouts) detailing our plans so far, and all the possible options, so they can all see their own data collection and storage in the context of what others have asked for or may need. This will allow us to revisit preliminary decisions.
- Basic data collection systems will be in place for testing by around the middle of June, and data collection should start by the beginning of July.
- The land title work headed by JS-R will use a simplified version of the existing Properties db for data collection, but querying will be done on a generated XML version which is optimized for the sorts of queries we want to do, and which will be based around the property rather than the title; this will have massive data duplication to speed queries, so that we can avoid lookups and join-type operations in the interests of speed.