Moving along steadily. Not much new in the article from 1985.
Another article by AK, and serendipitously I found one on Korean immigration which confirms our surmises regarding the absence of Korean immigrants from Vancouver prior to the 1950s.
Started tracking down and taking notes on AK's publications that will provide some grounding for assertions I'll be making early in the paper.
Reviewed the situation for the Oral History cluster, and discussed authorship processes for the article.
Got some requests from SB, and had some unfinished bits in the generation of ethnicity spreadsheets for the GIS team from the street table pages. Got the block/lot extraction working properly, and fixed issues with mixing up of names, rolenames and occupations. Other tweaks.
Got sysadmin to set up EO on the filesystem, then provided intro and instructions for him; in the process found a permissions issue in NY's data, so worked with her to get that fixed.
JL asked for a "dropbox" space for research assistants to upload raw audio files and images of documents.
on home1h/loi/oralhistory, I created a folder called files_in and made the following changes to the default permissions as reported by getfacl oralhistory/files_in/ :
1 - the group has no permissions (setfacl -m g:loi:0 oralhistory/files_in/)
2 - the other has no permissions (setfacl -m o:0 oralhistory/files_in/)
3 - the default:other has rwx (setfacl -m d:other:rwx oralhistory/files_in/)
4 - specific netlinks have rwx (setfacl -m u:USERNAME:rwx oralhistory/files_in/)
The three specified users that have access are: jlabove, rsalas, kylafitz
These changes are also documented in the file permissions.txt in the oralhistory folder.
JL also expressed concern about who has access to the interviews folder, so I've asked for more details and if necessary will make changes and document in permissions.txt and the blog.
Generalized the diagnostics.xsl file so that it can be applied to both the Nihonmachi and Maple Ridge dbs, and added the second process into the ant build; also added a check for titles which are not linked to properties.
Rewrote the diagnostics file so that it processes the existing directories files rather than those created in a temp directory when the algorithm was being developed; build the diagnostics into the main build process and directed its output to the products directory which is preserved. Reported on the results and the work required to complete this task to JSR and MT, who will presumably be doing it.
Then, per discussions with JSR, changed the Other East Asian ethnicity to Other Asian, and ported this change to the original Land Titles db. Abstracted the ethnicity assignment code into a separate module so it can be applied to any source, and then created a new library which uses it to process the Land Titles (Powell St) db, XML version, and creates a diagnostic output that shows where the current algorithm would differ from the original assignments which were made by humans. Analyzed these results and reported on the work which will be involved in revisiting the 600+ names for which this process disagrees with the original one.
Polished off a bunch of the obvious and easy-to-check ones. Could do with a new diagnostic that runs on the current fileset now.