AC has listed a number of lots which appear in the titles db but are not linked to titles. A deep dive on one of them shows that it was linked to a number of titles in the database that pre-dates the Landscapes project; those titles go back to 1949. We don't yet know whether there is lost or missed data in the current version of the db, or whether these cases are omitted for some specific reason.
Spent some time discussing issues arising out of the Powell St data and db with AC, as she's getting started on it. Looks like some of the work done by the GIS team can be re-purposed. Generated a list of properties from the db which are linked to titles (many aren't, I think for project history reasons).
AC has produced an excellent protocol doc for the mapping, which I've read through and commented. I'm beginning to understand the process a bit better, but there are still gaps in my knowledge...
Spent couple of hours with KJ working out how to map fields from the NNM csv output to fields conformant with the RAD standard for input to AtoM. More or less completed the collection, series and file levels, started on the item level.
To be researched further:
- external links to jpgs (vs uploading into db as digital objects
- create authority record for Mr. Sato and figure out how to link to it.
- check RAD spec for any constraints on e.g. identifier values, or syntactic requirements
csv import documentation for AtoM 2.1 at https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.1/user-manual/data-templates/rad-template/#template-description
RAD specification at http://www.cdncouncilarchives.ca/RAD/RAD_Chapter01_July2008.pdf
Met with JSR and RRR to discuss the geo-reffing of the Maple Ridge plans. Decisions are in my notes; the basic idea is to use the identifiers from the land titles db properties table for the GIS polygons. I started examining how well our data fits with the key plans, and it's not a perfect fit at all. More work to be done here.
Finished draft three of the JAEH article, with additional material on multi-ethnicity in Japan suggested by JSR based on something in EO's paper. That's now back with JSR.
Yesterday and today, working with SA on his TEI abstract; we now have a more sophisticated approach to the obsolete kanji and their modern equivalents, encapsulated in the ODD.
At AK's request, wrote some XQuery to extract a list of Japanese owners who were the last owners of a property prior to the dispossession date.
Per request from AG, created a new test db copied from Powell St but basically empty, for error-checking duplicate insertions.
After a lengthy discussion and agreement, I've added the same "extinguished properties" feature to the Vancouver db as exists in the Maple Ridge db. SQL:
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `titles_to_ext_properties`; CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `titles_to_ext_properties` ( `tte_tte_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, `tte_prop_id_fk` int(11) NOT NULL, `tte_title_id_fk` int(11) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (`tte_tte_id`), KEY `tte_prop_id_fk` (`tte_prop_id_fk`,`tte_title_id_fk`), KEY `tte_title_id_fk` (`tte_title_id_fk`) ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ; ALTER TABLE `titles_to_ext_properties` ADD CONSTRAINT `titles_to_ext_properties_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`tte_prop_id_fk`) REFERENCES `props` (`prp_property_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE, ADD CONSTRAINT `titles_to_ext_properties_ibfk_2` FOREIGN KEY (`tte_title_id_fk`) REFERENCES `titles` (`ttl_title_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE;
Additions to local_classes.php:
//In title class, before preceding titles field: $this->addField(new MdhOneToManyField('ttl_ext_properties', 'Extinguished properties', 'ttl_title_id', 'props', 'prp_property_id', 'prp_desc', 'titles_to_ext_properties', 'tte_tte_id', 'tte_title_id_fk', 'tte_prop_id_fk', true, 'prp_desc', true)); //In properties class, before related properties field: $this->addField(new MdhOneToManyField('own_extinguishing_titles', 'Extinguished by titles', 'prp_property_id', 'titles', 'ttl_title_id', 'ttl_desc', 'titles_to_ext_properties', 'tte_tte_id', 'tte_prop_id_fk', 'tte_title_id_fk', true, 'ttl_desc', true));
Tested in dev, rolled out to live, awaiting any anomaly reports from the RAs in the field.
Long and confusing email discussion about the difficulties in entering data about titles extinguishing properties, especially when moving backwards through title records; you end up having to re-edit a later title you've already entered when you discover from an earlier title that it actually extinguished some lots. I don't see a good technical solution to this as yet, but something may emerge from the discussions.