The last few still need to be proofed and edited by GL. Discussed plans for the next work they're going to do.
Finally decided to register the project with OAI PMH as a data source, and began the process of getting validated with their service. There are a lot of cases in which I've written my code to fail gracefully/usefully, when in actual fact the protocol requires hard errors to be returned; I now need to rethink some of the code to handle this. I'll probably reduce the granularity of the dating for simplicity's sake. A fair amount more work to do here.
Did a brief XML intro for the DR students, and then worked with them as they encoded their first bios and got familiar with SVN. They're now published, and credited on the site; they look good. Also solved a puzzle with CH -- John Henley was only wounded, not murdered as one despatch says, and the man killed was Bill Brady, not "George _____".
GL and I worked on a couple of the puzzling things thrown up by the DR students' work, and resolved them; GL has looked at the bios and provided some pointers for the students.
Dates with @when get title attributes in the HTML, so you see the W3C date format when you hover over them. Other dating attributes are not handled, and probably should be.
Our DR students are working well, and they've thrown up a few transcription and encoding errors in the collection, most of which I've fixed (one referred to GL). Next week we should be ready for encoding.
Our new DR students started work today, and have made good progress, with some bios looking ready already. CH has encoded hers and they've been uploaded for proofing. CH also pointed out some discrepancies between the Guidelines explanation of the fn tagging and the actual practice, so we had a quick email discussion with KSW and GL about it, and we'll clarify. There are also some individuals tagged in 63 as fn, who don't appear to me to be fn; GL and CH will examine this more closely.
GL, CH and I met to go through CH's bio drafts; these are now ready for encoding, and will then be proofed again. Then met with the two new Directed Reading students and gave them an intro to the project; we set them up with some Google Docs and materials, and they're going to start by picking some bios to write.
Spent some time looking at what CH has been doing. She's tagging entities in the 63 files, and will continue until the beginning of the B635s; then I want to have her finish up some bios she's worked on, and learn how to encode them. Next, there are new placenames that have been tagged, with empty entries, so I'd like her to research and write those up.
KSW found that some page-images were missing, and that they contained a complete despatch that we have a transcription of; after figuring out what had happened, we devised a plan for restoring them, which KSW carried out. They were photographed on a separate reel because of their size, and luckily that reel was in the MF section of the library. We've re-integrated those images into the series in the correct position, and linked them.