Category: Activity log

14/02/19

Permalink 01:29:59 pm, by mholmes, 63 words, 4 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 120

Team meeting and documentation progress

Met with LM and GL to discuss the ongoing work on the documentation. Showed GL how to create Code Templates in Oxygen, then implemented the processing of those from the xpr file into the project documentation as is done in DVPP; this involved adding in an ODD processing step which we will later use for taxonomy processing. Fixed a bug in the diagnostics.

07/02/19

Permalink 04:52:05 pm, by mholmes, 19 words, 8 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 90

Meeting with UBCIC

Meeting with most of the team, and UBCIC folks, who provided guidance on our plans for decolonizing the archive.

04/02/19

Permalink 05:05:12 pm, by mholmes, 85 words, 6 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 360

Progress with ODD file, Schematron and diagnostics

Accomplished a few things today:

  • Moved all Schematron from standalone file into ODD file as laid out in our plan.
  • Wrote additional cleanup XSLT to tidy up the xmlns-laden output Schematron file.
  • Made some minor updates to ODD file processing.
  • Created a proper HTML-producing diagnostics_master.xsl based on the DVPP one, and moved all the consistency checks into that file.
  • Rewrote/reorganized the diagnostics build process to deprecate the old consistency checks, include the new ones, and archive stuff appropriately.
  • Updated the planning document.

30/01/19

Permalink 04:50:33 pm, by mholmes, 116 words, 10 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 180

ODD file, encoding practices, and documentation

Met with the team to discuss progress on the rewriting of documentation. In response to some requests from LM, I worked on the ODD file to add a demo/sandbox section showing how to encode things in the ODD file itself; I also enhanced the CSS to provide better syntax-highlighting for egXMLs, added some CSS to handle rendering of elements and attributes inline in the text, and added demo instances of these things. Finally, I decided to switch to using @facs on <pb> instead of @n, which entailed changes to XQuery, XSLT, and of course all the XML files, as well as the schema (which now has a Schematron rule to catch the error).

28/01/19

Permalink 03:43:03 pm, by mholmes, 37 words, 8 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 20

Colonial Despatches: CO 60 Volume 36 page images added to Colonial Despatches collection

1171 new page-images (in three different sizes) from the following volume have been added to the Colonial Despatches collection: CO 60 Vol 36 (British Columbia 1869 Despatches to London June to December). These will now be linked into the transcription documents.

24/01/19

Permalink 12:45:32 pm, by mholmes, 37 words, 6 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 20

Colonial Despatches: CO 60 Volume 35 page images added to Colonial Despatches collection

1373 new page-images (in three different sizes) from the following volume have been added to the Colonial Despatches collection: CO 60 Vol 35 (British Columbia 1869 Despatches to London January to May). These will now be linked into the transcription documents.

09/01/19

Permalink 08:56:06 am, by mholmes, 37 words, 7 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 15

Colonial Despatches: RG7 G8C Volume 14 page images added to Colonial Despatches collection

609 new page-images (in three different sizes) from the following volume have been added to the Colonial Despatches collection: RG7 G8C Vol 14 (British Columbia 1867 Public Despatches from London). These will now be linked into the transcription documents.

18/12/18

Permalink 03:55:56 pm, by mholmes, 15 words, 10 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 90

Team meeting planning for 2019

Full details of the plan coming when I have the chance to write it up.

04/12/18

Permalink 02:42:11 pm, by mholmes, 106 words, 15 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log; Mins. worked: 240

New documentation build process created

In preparation for LM's directed reading, during which she'll be constructing proper documentation inside the ODD file, I've reorganized the ODD file and added some standard stuff on SVN and Oxygen to get us started. I've added processing for this to the ODD build process. While doing this I found a bunch of annoying hangover code from the Waterloo Script which was marking places in the XML where tables should be inserted; I've done a bunch of them, just to get them out of the way, and I'll come back to them later. GL and I also put together the full work plan for LM's project.

30/11/18

Permalink 12:35:05 pm, by mholmes, 37 words, 47 views   English (CA)
Categories: Activity log, Announcements; Mins. worked: 20

Colonial Despatches: RG7 G8C Volume 13 page images added to Colonial Despatches collection

428 new page-images (in three different sizes) from the following volume have been added to the Colonial Despatches collection: RG7 G8C Vol 13 (British Columbia 1866 Public Despatches from London). These will now be linked into the transcription documents.

:: Next Page >>

Colonial Despatches

The Colonial Despatches is an XML database project which is creating a digital archive containing the original correspondence between the British Colonial Office and the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The project lives at http://bcgenesis.uvic.ca, and the web application runs on the Pear dev Tomcat. The XML data is managed in SVN at http://revision.tapor.uvic.ca/svn/coldesp/.

Reports

XML Feeds