Burned a CD with all the content to send to the printers, after confirming by phone that no modifications were necessary to enable the separate printing of colour pages.
Separations etc. done, and proof to JT for checking.
It's not quite clear yet what will go on the cover, and the precise year is not clear (2010, or 2009-2010?), but I've made a start on the cover for volume 19. I'm basically working from these instructions, but I did find a much easier way to extract the TOC pages from the main PDF for insertion into the cover, using GhostScript on Linux:
gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAVER -dFirstPage=5 -dLastPage=5 -sOutputFile=master_vol_19_toc_1.pdf master_vol_19.pdf gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAVER -dFirstPage=6 -dLastPage=6 -sOutputFile=master_vol_19_toc_2.pdf master_vol_19.pdf
I was then able to combine the two TOC pages into one, following my own instructions from before, and import it into the cover in Illustrator on Windows (which I'm still using, sadly, because my template is all set up there).
I calculated the spine width at 0.82 inches this time, much bigger than previously, because there are so many pages this time. I've re-jigged everything appropriately. HT's name has been removed from the cover because of the absence of reviews in this edition. The only thing still outstanding is a decision on the date; once that's fixed, I may have to re-do all the TOC stuff, because the date's included in there too, or possibly just the cover content if it's 2010. The former will be easier because the cover content has knockouts, which are tricky.
Last three sets of substantial revision to Rees, Bunch and Egholm done. One question outstanding on a passage of Bunch.
Adding a missing image into Egholm this morning, I discovered that my image-handling code for PDFs is better than I thought it was: I can place an image inside a paragraph and it works fine (for PDFs at least). This means we really can maximize the use of space by placing images right at page-breaks or similarly appropriate positions, with the proviso that subsequent edits preceding such precisely-placed images will inevitably require re-positioning.
Tested this on the server, and the XHTML works fine too, and is valid -- although of course the line-break won't necessarily be at the end of an actual line.
Also changed the path_config.xsl file to point to the images on Pear rather than in home1t, where the project used to live when it was running on Lettuce.
JT dropped by and we worked through issues raised this morning and made more corrections. I've also now replaced all my original keyword items with his items.
Did a set of corrections based on instructions from JT; some questions still outstanding on these.
Received the introduction text from JT, and began figuring out how best to fit it into the structure of the volume. Initially, I discovered that we had some introduction-handling code from ACH which had been commented out, so I uncommented it and marked up the introduction as a
<note> in the
<notesStmt> part of the header, with
id="introduction". This sort of worked (although I had to re-work the margins, because they were set for the columnar layout of ACH).
However, it was unsatisfactory in many ways because it didn't appear in the TOC. So I took another approach: I marked up the introduction as a complete TEI.2 file inside the teiCorpus.2, preceding all the others, and then created a new page flow section for it in the XSLT/FO. It now appears as a sort of mini article, between the Contributors info and the first article. It has a
<classCode> value of "editorial", which excludes the author's name from the contributor list (I assume that's what JT would want), and it starts on a recto, and has no page number (so page numbering doesn't start till the third page of the first article, as in all previous issues).
I think this is the best approach, but I'm waiting for JT's approval of these decisions.
We still have to make decisions about the display of the title for the special issue, on the cover and in the front matter.
Smith corrections were minimal and unproblematic, but there are many unresolved questions raised by HT. I'm now up to date (all unambiguous corrections submitted to me have been done).
Had to add tweaks to XSLT to handle bibliographical items which are forthcoming journal articles without volume or page reference info.