Met with AWR to brainstorm possible ways of providing support for English 140. Notes from meeting appended below. Seemed to me (especially after talk with GN and MH) that Moodle would be appropriate, and that for a course of this size they could expect some time from the Moodle support people on campus.
Arranged for me to meet with SG to review their needs and confirm that Moodle could meet them, and probably at lower cost and hassle then any other option. That meeting confirmed my recommendation. The Moodle people are already supporting ENGL 135 which is a bit bigger and more unruly administratively than this course.
wrote to AWR suggesting she contact the 135 instructor and also contact SG directly to discuss the specifics and I'd be happy to consult if she felt it would be helpful.
2 lecture sections / term, each with 180 students
20 tutorial sections / term, each with 20 students
- 4 major works, each studied for 3 weeks
- 8 submissions
- exposure to range of literary study techniques
- focus on close reading (e.g. take sentence, write a paragraph)
- wants to expose students to range of scholarship, as retention tool
- wants grad students to do more teaching
- this course as model for future for other courses
- 1 professor teaches both sections in a given term
- likely 3 or 4 profs will rotate term by term
- each prof may have different usage
- each prof will want to be able to archive their material for re-use
- instructor has to have site accessible to all students in course with
general course stuff and stuff specific to current work being studied
- each tutorial section has to have site (accessible to all course
students probably OK if more restrictive access administratively hard)
- mechanism for students to submit work to instructors
- mechanism for instructors to forward exemplary work to instructor for
inclusion on page accessible to all - this archive likely to be retained
and expanded from year to year
- area whose access is restricted to instructor and ta's
- not sure about instructors' confidence with Moodle
I wrote a little piece of code that identified 624 rows in BI's spreadsheet which contain values in the keyword field that don't appear in the keyword sheet, then submitted a report to BI. He'll need to update the keywords sheet and the records in the main sheet and return.
Added bit of code to identify rows which have NULL in the chapter field. It's OK to have NULL in that field, but I gave BI the report in case some of those rows should have a value in that field.
Added bit of code to identify rows which have NULL in the document_type field. It's OK to have NULL in that field, but I gave BI the report in case some of those rows should have a value in that field.