Mariage is my pilot project for the notion of static site-building, and I've started on that work today. I've reconfigured part of the repo to provide a location for developing the code, and written rendering for all the AJAX fragments; I'm now starting on the main documents, beginning with the simplest, articles.
My approach is to take advantage of the HTML5 data- attributes to preserve as much of the original TEI info as possible (source element name, attribute values, etc.), so that I'm not trying to predict what bits I will and won't need for the purposes of styling and interactivity. It's quite straightforward and elegant to do this, and rather a relief to get away from the heavily contingent style of rendering that I've ended up getting used to on projects that pre-date HTML5. No major gotchas so far.