In a bit late (appointment) but stayed much longer than planned -- trying to catch up after my trip.
Some tweaking required for an overlong abstract; waiting for confirmation from HT on that. Jakobsson looks good; started encoding the last article (JT's interview with YS). Nearly there...
GN and I worked out a basic process for building a test map which initially shows the cleaned-up Margary sheets, each as a separate layer, on top of the main map. I've generated the Zoomify tiles, and I'll start work on the test code tomorrow.
vips (available on the Linux command line) can create Zoomify tilesets like this:
vips dzsave clean_C1.png clean_C1 --layout zoomify --suffix .png
As far as we can tell, these are identical to those created by Zoomify (and we got the same number of tile groups folders using vips as we did with Zoomify).
We actually need JPEGs because OpenLayers can't yet handle PNGs, so we've determined that this is what we want for tiling (assuming that we want full-quality images).
vips dzsave img.jpg img --layout zoomify --suffix .jpg[Q=100]
Working in web-dev site have completed the following:
Resized all new photos for workshop.
Created new page for 2015 event.
- removed lansdowne lecture; archived poster
- added new announcements with some links to index page
- new link re course forthcoming
Waiting for remainder of information before uploading changes from web-dev to live site.
Follow-up work from the FtF meeting, and completing my expenses claim.
I've started writing a converter for TEI Simple output, as part of testing for TEI Simple, but also as part of the prep for my DH paper on Interchange. The interesting bits are likely to be the CSS conversions to simple:whatever @rendition values, but for that I can leverage some of the code I've already written for Mariage.
Resizing workshop photos to include in recent updates request to site.
Editing announcements section.
On our map, we need to mark polygons, points and lines. The TEI
<zone> element is officially defined as marking an area:
"defines any two-dimensional area within a surface element"
which is arguably a polygon only. I've been dealing with points by creating tiny one-pixel zones using the old attributes designed for rectangles (@ulx, @uly, @lrx, @lry), but we've been rather abusing the @points attribute intended for polygons to handle lines (paths), with a convention that if a list of points does not repeat its initial point, it's not closed, and is therefore a path. I tried to get that officially sanctioned and change the definition of
<zone> and @points, but was not successful (https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/feature-requests/541/), and they've asked me to prepare a feature request for a
<path> element instead, which I fear will not be successful (the feeling is that this crosses too far into SVG territory).
So we are now officially engaged in some mild tag-abuse. The suggested fix was that instead of a series of coordinates creating a line, we should have a one-pixel-wide shape instead; that would be functionally identical to a line, but would really be a zone and would therefore be OK. So I'm now providing this in the XML we serve up (the "Standard" and "Standalone" variants) by expanding the attributes on the fly, so that we're providing good TEI to anyone who wants it, but we're not making our lives needlessly complicated for the sake of purity.
With JJ's approval, migrated the CSS changes for off-page links from dev to live.