The existing CANJAS VC system relies on an HCMC cart, TV and speakers which is also the HCMC portable VCR station. Funds were obtained for the purchase of a dedicated cart and display for the CANJAS hardware.
The original expectation was that we would be able to source a large-ish TV, a computer monitor and a cart to hold everything per the spec in the request. After some searching, the following logistical issues arose with our original spec:
- In order to make both screens viewable simultaneously they need to be side-by-side.
- The conference camera needs to be at approximately the same level as the screens.
- The cart needs a lockable cabinet for the peripheral devices (microphones, cabling, codec etc)
- Any computer monitor large enough to display a PowerPoint-like presentation to even a small classroom would need to be quite large (at least 23") due to the inherently high resolution of these devices.
Further to these issues:
If the screens are side-by-side AND they are large enough (per above req's), they would require a special cart that is
- too wide to get in our elevators,
- has no built-in lockable storage and
- by itself, costs more than our entire budget.
The solution I favour is this:
Purchase one large LCD TV (Samsung 32-inch LCD TV - LNS3251D $1699 at London Drugs, but $1150 at Tiger Direct) with picture-in-picture capability that will allow simultaneously display of video conference signal and PowerPoint-like presentations and mount it on a surplus cart that we already own. Associated costs for setting the LCD up on our cart will include a restraint system (broad strapping) and minor modification to the cart (more secure lock mechanism, camera mount and a power bar).
Scott has approved the purchase of the LCD.