I've just begun the customization work to add tracking of time worked to the system. This may result in instability, so keep copies of all posts you make today.
-Began looking at bugs reported since the release:
-The menu background colour issue appears to be a known Windows bug, documented here:
There may be a workaround we can use, also explained on the page.
-The Chinese interface issue appears to be something much more general, afflicting all TntUnicodeControls; they no longer seem to support widestring captions! Created a sample project demonstrating the problem, posted it, and then explained the issue on the Tnt Webboard and on the relevant Borland newsgroup. Hope this gets fixed soon, assuming it's not something stupid I'm forgetting about. But it does look as though the code worked fine until I installed the October release of Tnt components, and then it broke.
-Looked at the display of disabled images in menu items, and found there's no good way to avoid Delphi's auto-creation of a crappy disabled image (often just a grey box).
Did a new release of the program (126.96.36.199) incorporating:
- use of DocLauncher for Help files and Tutorial inside the app.
- setting of Scaled = False and AutoScroll = False on all TTntForms.
- bugfixes for the translation implementation arising out of work on the Image Markup Tool.
- Built and tested a fresh installer.
- Discovered a bug with interface file loading -- menus ended up with a yellow background.
- Tried to fix this by various strategies to trigger a repaint of the component (being a TComponent descendant, it lacks actual Refresh, Invalidate, and Repaint methods). Seemed to work on most machines, but on a test install on Arugula it failed. This may be some kind of conflict with a graphics driver.
- Logged this as a bug on the Website.
- Posted a request for help to the Borland internationalization list (newsgroup home for Tnt components).
- Rebuilt, tested, tweaked and rebuilt the app and installer several times. Final test was in Lab B, where the screen settings were problematic (Large Fonts?), so I had to go back to the app and set Scaled = False and AutoScroll = False on every form. This should probably also be done for Transformer.
- Final release 188.8.131.52 seems OK tested on a variety of machines.
- Updated the Website.
- Added a Projects page showing three projects using the tool.
- Tweaked the site menu settings to make it a bit smaller.
- Created a project summary inc file and linked it into the future HCMC site projects page.
- Added a link to the blog from the site menu.
- Posted an announcement to the TEI list.
- Tried to post to TAPoR news feed, but no sign of the capability on the site! The My News tab has disappeared. I find that site hopelessly confusing; every time I click on something it opens a new tab in my browser with a small, unhelpful bit of info.
- Created a DocLauncher application with no GUI, which wraps the mdhHelp functions and can be used to launch tutorials and help files from shortcuts.
- Documented the above.
- Tested and tweaked it.
- Incorporated it into the Transformer installer, and tested the results works well.
- Posted it on the Source Website.
- Rewrote the IMT installer to include the DocLauncher and related functionality/icon creation.
- Updated all the licence docs etc. for the installer.
- Created an icon for the installer archive.
- Built the installer.
- Did a test install on a couple of machines. Contextual Help (F1) wasn't working in dlgAnnCat.
- Went back to Delphi and discovered the HelpContext had been deleted. Added it back in, and checked it for other windows.
- Rebuilt and tested the app.
- Figured out that the Tutorial launching code from within the app wasn't using mdhHelp functions. Rewrote it, rebuilt the app, rebuilt the installer, and tested on my VM where IE is the default browser. Opens in FF, but strangely: nothing is displayed. This needs more investigation. Only seems to show up on the VM, though; other XP machines were OK.
- Added a bit of code to make an example file available on the Recent Files menu if it's the first run of the app.
- Rebuilt installer and distro again.
- Found a Nuvola icon suitable for "Close File".
- Built the BMPs from it.
- Added a Close File action and menu item.
- Tested the app again.
The point of this site is to act as a documentation system for projects. It should offer viewers an insight in to the process of project development in the Humanities Computing & Media Centre. Ideally, it will act as a communication system for interested parties to view, in great detail, how any given project is progressing, or reasons why it isn't.
WAS: The tutorial has lots of outdated info (especially about file formats). Proof it and fix it before you do anything else.
Completed November 8.
WAS: Post all updates to the Website, write to the TEI list, and also post on TAPoR.
Done Nov 11, except for TAPoR post; I can't find the page which allows me to post to the newsfeed!
WAS: All the site pages, including version info, release dates, and roadmap need to be updated ready for release.
All done Nov 9.
WAS: Source code libraries need to be updated, and their desc files checked for accuracy.
Completed Nov 10.