Reviewed another paper.
In the process of working on the report backend, I discovered some problems with the language settings. Users can choose to post in various languages, according to the locale they choose, and then their posts will be stored in that charset. When any page combines posts from different locales, some characters will be garbled. This needs to be fixed, but the nature of the system is such that it can't be fixed without re-working the entire language system of B2Evo. This requires substantial research ahead of time. Discussed this at length with Greg.
Finished the core PHP for reports:
- Finished tidying up the SQL (stripping off a WHERE at the end where no params were supplied, so a query for everything now works).
- Added some controls for what columns should be included in the table.
- Rewrote the output code to respond to those controls.
- Added header and closing tag generation for the standalone page, based on code in /blogs/a_noskin.php.
- Tested the standalone page for validation errors; found lots, mainly due to ampersands etc. not escaped. Fixed those.
- Hooked in the CSS and JS for the report form. Kept it absolutely simple (no fonts specified, for instance), because it is a report and shouldn't really be decorative. Most often it will be saved and massaged in another program.
- Tested and tweaked.
(Worked with Stew for some of the time.)
The current setup for accessing HCMC sites is rather ad hoc. Martin, Stewart and I discussed a strategy for tidying things up on the front end by using a number of methods to make everything accessible from a single entry point, namely http://hcmc.uvic.ca/
This is the beginning of a map for this - please edit or comment if you have something to add.
mod_rewrite, virtual hosts etc. will be used to provide access to projects and sub-sites via a hopefully obvious scheme. The URLs we have so far are:
edit: An adjustment to the above
Some URL "duplication" should be built in via Apache. For example, having logical "containers" for software and so forth works well, and having containers for projects, journals, collections etc. might make sense, so if we get an Apache directive that "listens" for requests on several levels and then rewrites the URL to point at the "real" location we're better served than if we manually set all possible URLs.
* pardon the excessive use of "quotes".
These URLs will draw content (notionally at least) from various sources. For example, the katakana site will remain available at http://tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/katakana, but will also be available at the new URL.
When this post is finalized amongst us it will constitute a task.
**note: for this to work we have to come to a conclusion about where the hcmc site is going to live - web.uvic.ca or on a tapor box.
Set up the blog for ScanCan. I'm the only member at the moment; next time I meet with John Tucker I'll see whether he wants to post as well.
- Samba will be installed on a TAPoR host (probably spinach) by Christmas and will provide home directory access for TAPoR users.
- PHP 5.2 has been installed on lettuce. We need to test it before it becomes the default php interpreter on lettuce. I sent an email to Martin, David and Stewart outlining the process.
- SUPHP will be edited to accommodate scripts that have a group writable flag set. This will help when there is more than one person editing php files. The switch will take place on the 28th of November sometime in the morning. Ryan will call beforehand.
- MySQL on chard is currently v4.0.x. It will be upgraded to 4.1 at 0730 on the 5th of December. There is a plan in place to ensure minimal downtime and maximum recovery in case of a problem, but Ryan is fairly confident that there will be no issues.
- MySQL 5 will be installed on cress early in the new year, hopefully by the end of January.
- Kim encouraged me to set up TSM clients on our workstations, including Linux. This will need to be a task for me.
posting minutes I worked yesterday with martin on reporting backend
Worked on the reporting backend:
- With David and Stew's help, got the SQL query building worked out. We were hampered by the fact that we're on mySQL 4.0, so we don't have embedded SELECT available, and bracketing is a little unusual; ended up writing lots of pre-queries which are executed before the main query.
- Got the basic table output built.
- Added a permalink to a URL which will consist only of the report. Only the shell of this is done; the reports.php page can tell when it's a standalone, and it will supply header and footer eventually.
- Wrote the arithmetic stuff for figuring out minutes worked for all retrieved posts.
- Confirmed that the hooked-in CSS file is working (CSS is not written yet).
Nov 23: I removed all of the div0 from the xml texts.
Polished off some tasks:
- Updated the IMT on both markup computers.
- Added France as a user to the blog.
- Tested Claire's and France's logins.
- Added a link from the project site menu to the blog.
- Created an inc file for the project, for hooking into the HCMC site, and sent the location to Stew.
- Uploaded one changed document to the eXist db and confirmed it's working OK ("Stances à une femme mariée").