PhilWeb: Update to Studies in Philosophy booklet
Received a request from LW in Philosophy to update the PDF booklet Studies in Philosophy, on the dept site. It turns out the booklet is built from five sections, which are maintained as distinct Word files by LW; in the past, Stew has combined these to create one file, and then built a PDF from it. I archived previous versions with dated file names, then brought the old DOC file over into OpenOffice (my MS Office can't create PDFs). I replaced the altered section with new data. At the same time, I noticed that the page numbers in the TOC of the document were all wrong, presumably dating from a previous incarnation, so I fixed those, and in the process I combined a number of arbitrary "sections" that seemed to exist in the document, for no apparent reason. I also deleted some chapter number fields which were showing up in the output, and fixed a bug in page numbering near the end (it jumped from 53 to 23 for some reason). I rebuilt the PDF file and uploaded all the changes, and archived versions, to the Website.
If this document is to be updated/maintained regularly over the long term, I think it would be a good idea to adopt some kind of formal system which makes updates easier. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do that, though.