Another attempt to create a universla install disk for XP which is both up-to-date and includes a variety of extra functionality. I'm using the following apps:
RyanVM Integrator and integrator packs
DriverPacks has an app for backing up/slipstreaming drivers in existing installs as well as provides a series of downloads of driver packs that can be used to slip in to an install disk. I've downloaded all of the available packs as of today.
DriverGrabber - see previous
Windows Post-Install Wizard is an app to run after the install is done. It is a user driven menu-ed app that runs a series of installers.
Some cool extensions are available at http://ryanvm.net/ . I'm adding some to my initial attempt, including CD/DVD burning apps, hardware monitoring apps and so forth.
1) slip WMP11 in to source tree (ripped XP SP2 disk)
2) slip IE7 in to source
3) Run RyanVM Integrator to integrate the update and custom packs
4) integrate the driver packs in to tree
5) run nliteos to create the ISO
6) do test installs in VMware,VirtualBox, Paralles, Mac mini, lab machines etc. (get Ehsan and DCST to try it, too)
follow-up task: if needed, run drivergrabber on all machines to get any custom drivers that the driver packs may not have in them
NOTE: I found a wrapper app called AutoImage that apparently sequences the operations of the above apps in a handy way. I'm trying to make it work now, but Casper is becoming flaky