I've made some substantial changes to the way
<geo> tags work in the Despatches. Geo-locations are now encoded using a single
<geo> tag with multiple coordinates in it; each coordinate pair (lat/long) is delimited by a comma, and the list of pairs is delimited by spaces. This brings us into line with the way other projects such as MoEML handle geolocations.
The documentation has been updated, as has the PDF generated from it which is in the docs folder alongside the XML. All current places in the places.xml file have been updated, and the code which generates KML for display on Google Maps is also now working with the new location info.
This means we can use Greg's excellent Vertexer tool to get the geo coordinates for a location, which is a lot simpler than what we used to do.
This was in the pipeline for a while, but became urgent because Google is about to pull the rug out from under us by abandoning support for the KML file setup we're currently using for these maps. Since this problem also afflicts the MoEML project, I needed to bring the two into line so that I can work on a single replacement for the functionality in both projects.