Fixes for validation problems with Sonnet de Courval
I fixed the following problems with Sonnet de Courval:
1. The docTitle element was put inside the body. docTitle has to be contained in a front element, before the body, like this:
2. There was no div element inside the body. There must be a containing block element inside the body; inline elements or plain text cannot be direct children of the body tag. So I've added a div tag like this:
3. Markup of stanzas was wrong. I see whole stanzas marked up as lines, like this:
<l> v. La Flegmatique : Luy tournera le dos tout au long de la nuict,
L’appellera vilain, lubrique, deshonneste,
Refrongnera le front en luy tournant la teste :
Le mary amoureux fasché de ce refus,
Caresse la servante & veut monter dessus.
La femme devient jalouse et il doit quitter la maison pour un temps.</l>
The <l> tag is a line rather than a stanza; stanzas are <lg>. I think it should appear like this:
<l>v. La Flegmatique : Luy tournera le dos tout au long de la nuict,</l>
<l>L’appellera vilain, lubrique, deshonneste,</l>
<l>Refrongnera le front en luy tournant la teste :</l>
<l>Le mary amoureux fasché de ce refus,</l>
<l>Caresse la servante & veut monter dessus.</l>
<l>La femme devient jalouse et il doit quitter la maison pour un temps.</l>
4. Plain text appears between page breaks, like this:
<pb n="2"/>Pourquoi vouloir nous emprisonner? Pire que le joug des forçats.
<pb n="3"/>Notre paradis devient un enfer. La pire des conditions.
That's not allowed by the schema; text must be in a container of some kind, such as a paragraph (p). I've supplied p tags in these cases.
I've commented out all the unmarked or partially-marked-up text, in order to get the document to validate, which it does now. When you're working on a large document, I'd recommend that you work this way:
1. Comment out all the text that you haven't marked up, except for the small section you're working on. Work on one paragraph or one stanza at a time.
2. When you've finished marking a section, validate the document. If it won't validate, it's best to fix the problem immediately; if you continue, you'll just store up more problems for yourself. Validate each section before moving on.
3. When the document validates, un-comment the next small section, and work on that.
I've found, after years of doing XML markup, that this is by far the best way to proceed. If you do a lot of work without doing any validation, the chances are you'll spend hours trying to figure out what the validation problems are at the end, and you may have to re-do a lot of your work (for instance, if you made the same sort of mistake several times).
I've also removed this document from the database, because it's not fully marked up yet.