P5 2.6.0 has provided us with a new
<abstract> element, so we no longer have to tag-abuse
I've processed all the documents containing
<notesStmt> elements in the correspondence to convert them to the use of
<abstract>. I've also updated all the XSLT and XQuery to use
<abstract> instead of
<notesStmt>, and updated the Guidelines to show the new encoding patterns. I think I've tested everything and it's all working, but you never know.
<notesStmt> is still allowed through the schema, because it's used in the map documents (for its proper purpose). But I wouldn't expect to see it in the correspondence documents any more, unless we find another reason to use it.
The website code is still set up to handle
<abstract>, but I plan to remove that at some point. I let KSW and TB know about the changes.