CC asked me to add two features that were in the old site but hadn't yet been implemented in the new: automatic jumps to the first instance of a tagged term when following a link from a reference item to a text, and lists of texts containing reference items in the context of the text popup. I've now implemented both, but in the process I found a stack of bad xml:ids (accented chars etc.) and bad links, and had to fix all of those. I've also added a new Schematron rule to constrain ids properly. 180 minutes.
Category: "Activity log"
After seeing a problem in the rendering of a closer in Sonnet 1609, I discovered that we have no template handling closers, so I've added it to the generic block output template. Then CC and I worked to refine the rendering of one particular closer that was giving trouble.
We then addressed the issue of spaces before commas, which are possibly accidentals and possibly not; rather than remove them or regularize them in the TEI, we decided to remove the spaces in the normalized versions of the texts, so I've now added that to the hcmc:processText() function.
There were several instances in which document content such as figure and head elements was directly inside the front or body, without any intervening div. This was causing rendering issues -- head element styles were being lost, for example. I fixed all instances of this, and added a Schematron rule to prevent it in future.
We've also devised a bit of an encoding hack, involving nested date elements, to get around the TEI's decision not to allow @when alongside other attributes on dates. CC will implement it by examining all cases, and then I'll deal with any processing fallout as required.
Gradually figuring out the best way to include the list of other documents which link to a reference or a bibliography item. I'm coming around to the view that the way to do this is to put the list into the AJAX fragments (already done for references, not working for divs yet), and replace any existing link or reference in an HTML document with the content of the AJAX fragment (slightly processed to remove links to the current document itself, perhaps).
This document had some very weird structural issues caused during an earlier phase of encoding, which resulted in a large number of superfluous div elements and some chapter content finding itself outside of its chapter div. With CC, went through and fixed all these issues.
Mariage version 6.1 has been built and pushed to the live server. In the build process, found and reported a linkchecker bug.
I'm finally getting around to writing proper ODD-based documentation for the Mariage project, starting with a description of the use of Image Markup in the project, prompted by a request to talk about it. I've done an intro, and the section on the IMT and image markup in the project. More later...
The next incarnation of our project Le mariage sous L'Ancien Régime is now live at mariage.uvic.ca. It's still officially a beta version, but all the pieces are in place.
Somehow the 1609 Sonnet file got completely trashed sometime in July; it's as if huge blocks of the XML were moved around randomly, with no attention paid to the hierarchy, and it's now completely invalid. It looks unfixable to me. CC agreed on resetting to the last known good rev 1770.
Just to bring it up to date. Noticed that eXide seems to be broken on Chromium. Seems to work OK on FF.