1882 Victoria Directory

General Progress

The City was incorporated in 1862. The census of 1881 returns a population of nearly 7,000, exclusive of Indians.

The Winter population is increased about 1000, in addition to the above number by the arrival from the mines, fisheries and public works, of men employed in those various industries. This shows an increase of nearly double the population since the last directory was published in 18771. There has been marked progress, during the years 1881, 1882. This seen in the increased telegraphic and telephonic communication, and great improvement in the streets. The seal, fur trade, salmon canning, fishing, fish oil, and lumber trades, have been vastly developed, and are now assuming gigantic proportions. The harbors of Victoria and Esquimalt, are thronged with shipping, to an extent unknown before. The salubrity of the climate, the manifold beauties of Victoria and its surroundings, together with the excellence and cheapness of its hotels, are attracting a large, and increasing number of visitors. During the past year several handsome stores, with extensive wharf frontages have been erected on Wharf street, and throughout the whole of the city and suburbs, signs of substantial progress are everywhere observable in stores, warehouses, and dwelling houses, which have lately been completed, whilst many others are approaching completion. The following are a few of the many new buildings which have been erected.

Building Improvements

Since the issue of the last British Columbia Directory there has been a marked improvement.

The Post office has been enlarged, a new and handsome front erected, and most convenient and commodious apartments provided for the Telegraph Office and Dominion Savings Bank.

The City Hall, a large and substantial brick building, has been built at a cost of $17,000; it contains every accommodation for Police Court, and Municipal Affairs.

The new Fire Engine House, next the City Hall, and the Masonic Temple will compare favorably with similar buildings on any part of the Pacific Coast.

The Odd Fellows Hall, in Douglas street, is one of the most substantial buildings in the city, containing Lodge rooms above, and two excellent stores on the ground floor.

Mr. James Fell, has very greatly improved the appearance of Fort street, by the erection of a handsome block of brick buildings two stories high, occupied as stores below, and furniture factory above.

Valuable improvements have been made in Government street, especially in the establishment of new dry goods, and other stores.

Moody Hall, a two story brick building, at the corner of Broad and Yates streets; on the ground floor there are three commodious stores, and on the second story, a large Hall and four handsome rooms used as offices.

At the corner of Broad and Johnson streets, Mr. Simeon Duck has erected three fire proof stores, two stories high, of modern design, and very commodious.

Mr. W. Jenson of the Occidental hotel, Wharf street, having purchased the ground where the dilapidated wooden huts stood at the foot of Johnson street, has built on the site a handsome two story brick building as an addition to his hotel.

Mr. G. Bossi has erected, at the corner of Store and Johnson streets, a three story brick building, the ground floor being occupied as a store, and the upper stories used as dwelling rooms and offices. This undoubtedly one of the handsomest buildings in the city.

The commercial hotel, corner of Douglas and Cormorant streets, a substantial brick building, two stories high.

Mr. Jno Smeaton's new store on Government street is completed, and occupied. It is 23 by 55 feet, two stories high, and presents a very neat and ornamental appearance.

Mr. Roderick Finlayson has erected a substantial warehouse on Wharf street, next to the Hudson Bay Co's store. Mr. Yates' building on Wharf street is completed, and occupied by Turner, Beeton & Co. It is three stories high in the front, with extensive cellarage, fronting the harbor.

Mr. John Boyd has just completed the erection of a new store on Yates street, near Government. The building is stone and brick, two stories high, with asphalt roof. The ground floor will be used as a grocery store and liquor saloon, the second floor for office spaces.

Mr. Rhode, general dealer, has just erected on Store street, a very capacious brick building, two stories high, with bakery in the basement.

Mr. S. J. Pitts' new store on Yates street just completed, takes the place of some venerable and dilapidated buildings, which formerly stood on the site. The new building is a great improvement to the street.

Boarding Houses

For the full list of boarding and lodging houses the reader is referred to the index. We note the following as being the longest established and most important:

Mrs. Mason's Boarding House, Fort street, now managed by Mrs. Coldwell, for many years has earned a well merited reputation as one of the most oderly and well conducted establishments on the Pacific Coast. The table is always well supplied, the cooking excellent, and the bed-rooms scrupulously clean.

Douglas House, at the corner of Courtenay and Gordon streets, Mrs. Douglas proprietress, is well conducted and beautifully situated, commanding a view of James Bay and Victoria Harbor. The house stands by itself, surrounded by beautiful grounds. Everything first-class. It has sleeping accommodation for about 40 persons.

Mrs. Bowles' private Boarding House, Fort street, affords all the comforts of a home, to one wanting good boarding and lodging at reasonable prices.

Brush Factory

Brush Factory, G. & J. Doughty proprietors, is situated on Fort Street. This is the only brush factory in the Province. The goods manufactured by this firm will compare favorably with any imported.

Boot and Shoe Factories

Belmont Boot and Shoe Factory, situated on Government street, W. Dalby manager, turned out during the past twelve months 28,000 pairs of boots and shoes, valued at $70,000. Number of hands employed, 75. This firm has a tannery at Belmont, for which see Esquimalt District.

The British Columbia Boot and Shoe Store, on Government street, is the oldest establishment of the kind in the Province, having been started in 1860 by its present proprietor, Henry Mansell. The custom department is conducted exclusively by white labor. All modern styles are introduced. The number of men presently employed in 13.

Victoria Boot and Shoe Factory, Government street, W. Heathorn, proprietor, was established in 1872, about 80 hands are employed. In 1882, 40,000 pairs of boots and shoes were manufactured, valued at $65,000.

Maynard and Stubbs, proprietors of the City Boot and Shoe store on Fort St., are employing 7 to 10 skilled mechanics, all white labor.

Book Bindery

R. T. Williams, Book Binding, Blank Book, and Rubber Stamp Manufactory, is situated on Broad street, contains the most complete machinery, for Binding, Ruling, Perforating, Numbering and all the general appliances of the above work.

This is the most complete establishment North of San Francisco; 7 persons are employed.

Bricks and Tiles

Coughlan and Mason's Brick, Tile, and Drain pipe Manufactory, on Saanich Road, gives steady employment to a number of experienced men and the worked turned out is in good demand.

Breweries

The Victoria Brewery, Government street, Loewen & Erb proprietors, is the largest in the province and may be truly said to be the pioneer, being established in 1858. The amount of beer brewed in a year is about 150,000 gallons, and finds a ready market all over the Province.

The Phoenix Brewery, N. W. corner Yates and Blanchard streets, was established in 1868 by its present proprietor, Charles Gowen. Its capacity is about 60,000 Imperial gallons per year. Malting capacity, 200 tons per year. The porter manufactured at this brewery is noted throughout the entire Province.

The above industry is also well represented by the superior beer and ale brewed at the Bavaria, H. Walther, Fort street, Lion Brewery, A. Keast, Queen's Avenue, and Bunster's Brewery, Johnson street.

Boiler Makers

Shaw & Kuna, boiler makers and machinists, Herald street. The machine shop is 20 x 50 feet and contains 2 lathes, 2 drill presses and 1 bolt cutter. The machinery is driven by a 10 horse power engine. The boiler and blacksmith shop is 100 x 50 feet, and contains 2 punching machines, 2 pair shears, 2 sets rollers, 3 cranes and 4 forges. This firm has obtained a very wide reputation for the excellent character of their work, and have just completed a large steel boiled containing 137 steel tubes.

John Robertson, boiler maker and blacksmith, has his works on Store street, opposite the Telegraph Hotel. The building is 60 x 50 feet and well furnished with all the plant required for boiler making.

Biscuit and Cracker Factory

Nesbitt & Co.'s Cracker Factory is situated at the lower end of Fort street. The building, 80 x 25 feet, is fitted up with all the requisite machinery, driven by a 3 horse power engine. The following varieties are manufactured, viz. cabia, pilon [?] navy, soda, sugar and butter. Number of men employed, five.

Book and Job Printing

Jas. E. McMillan's Book and Job Printing establishment, Fort street, gives employment to 5 persons, and has the latest designs of type, presses, &c. Job work of all descriptions is printed at this office.

Munroe Miller's steam Book and Job printing office, on Johnson street, contains presses and type of the latest designs.

The Government steam Book and Job printing office, at the Government Building, is used only for Government work and has all modern improvements in presses and type.

For color printing see salmon label printing. For other job printing offices see newspapers.

Cigars

Kurtz & Co.'s white labor cigar factory, Government street, next to Wells, Fargo & Co.'s express, occupies the entire upper portion of building as well as an office down stairs, the factory being the largest of its kind in the Province, and the only one employing exclusively white labor, giving constant employment to 25 cigar makers, 2 packers, 12 boys and 6 girls. Total, 45. The tobaccos used are imported direct from Havana. Number of cigars manufactured per year, 1,250,000. Total value of manufacture, $75,000. This industry is very beneficial to the Province at large, the earnings of the employees being spent in the country.

Candy Manufacturies

There are 4 of the above in this city, namely, H. Waller and W. J. Tippins, on Fort street, F. Baumann, Yates, and H. A. Lilley, Douglas street, where candies and confectionaries of a superior quality are manufactured. Order from all parts of the province and promptly attended to.

Coffee and Spice Mills

Stemler & Earle's coffee and spice mills, on wharf street, are doing an extensive business in all kinds of ground coffee and spices. A number of persons are constantly employed.

Foundries

The Albion Iron Works, J. Spratt proprietor, are situated on Store and Chatham streets, and occupy 8 town lots, in addition to which there are two lots fronting the harbor, with extensive wharves and commodious store-houses. These works were established in 1862. At the corner of Store and Chatham streets there is a large brick building three stories high, used as a pattern shop; the basement is used as a storehouse for iron, steel, &c., &c. The machine shop is 250 x 50, two stories high, fitted with machinery of the newest and most perfect kind, capable of completing the largest work on the Coast; there is nothing to compare with these works, even in Portland. The machinery comprises two large and powerful lathes, for heavy work, five smaller lathes, one planer with a 25 foot bed, one planer with 18 foot bed, on shaping machine, one gear cutting machine, three boring machines, one emery wheel, and a very powerful crane. Mr. Spratt manufactures steam engines of every description, fish canning machinery of all kinds, and has patented a fish can filler that can do the work of twenty men. He has also a large contract for supplying 700,000 pounds of iron for railway piers and bridges and a number of derrick winches. In the pattern room all the patterns required for the works are made. There are two lathes for turning wood, and circular, band, and jig saws. The brass finishing shop is 65 x 30 feet, and contains a circular facing machine, emery wheel, five lathes, two pipe cutting machines, and one milling machine. Here all the work coming from the brass foundry is finished, and may be seen in different states of progress. In the basement are placed the machines for the manufacture of nuts, washers, bolts, and rivets. The boiler house adjoins the brass finishing shop, and contains a 50 horse power boiler, supplying an engine of 12 horse power in each of the following shops, viz., the machine shop, the brass finishing shop and the foundry. The blacksmith shop, 90 x 50 feet, is replete with all the machinery needed for the heaviest work, including a 5 ton steam hammer. The foundry, 90 x 50 feet, with an L 50 x 30 feet, contains a large oven for drying cores, two cupolas, each 5 feet in diameter, a steam elevator, a mill for cleaning castings, another for grinding faces, and two large cranes. The brass foundry is 40 x 20 feet and contains core oven and four crucible furnaces. The stove fitting shop is 40 x 20 feet and adjoins the brass foundry. The stove warehouse contains more than 30 different kinds of stoves, all made here, for kitchen, parlor, hall or other purposes. The number of men employed averages 100.

The Novelty Iron Works, Store street, Thomas Gowen, proprietor, has been established about four years. The machine shop is 50 by 32 feet, two stories high, and contains on the ground floor, three lathes, one drilling and boring machine driven by a six horse power engine; on the second story is the pattern shop. Many of the steamers running in these waters have been supplied with compound steam engines made at this establishment. Mr. Gowen is about to add a brass foundry to the works.

J. F. Wilson's Iron and Brass Foundry, is situated near the corner of Store and Herald streets. The iron foundry is 100 by 50 feet, and contains a cupola of three tons in capacity, a No 6 Stentevant blower, and a large crane. The brass foundry contains 2 crucible furnaces, and a core oven.

John Dougall's Machine Shop and Factory, is situated on the corner of Government and Pembroke streets. The machine shop is a two storied building, and contains a large plant consisting of three lathes, one radial drill, one planer, one bolt cutter, and one large drilling machine; there is a 12 horse power engine. The foundry is 60 x 60 feet and is furnished with a cupola of 8 tons capacity, a core oven, and a large crane. The brass foundry has a crucible furnace and core oven, and furnishes all brass work needed for machinery constructed on the premises. The Blacksmith's shop is 70 x 20 feet, and contains three blast forges. This foundry has lately completed several high pressure engines.

Flour Mill

Luker & Co.'s Flour Mill, Herald street, is 50 x 40 feet, two stories high, containing all the newest appliances in machinery. The engine is 26 horse power. 4 hands employed.

Furniture Factories

J. Sehl's Furniture Factory, is situated on Government street, extending back to Langley street. Every description of furniture is manufactured here. Mr. Sehl also deals in carpets, matting, oilcloth and all the requisites, for furnishing a house. Eighteen hands are employed, and the value of the furniture sold amounts to $50,000 a year.

J. Weiler's Furniture Factory, situated on Fort street, is well known to those interested in household requisites, which are to be found here in greater variety, from the cheapest kinds to those of the most costly description. Mr. Weiler is large importer from England and the East, and in addition to importations employs twelve men in upholstering &c.

Glove Factory

Swickard & Co.'s Glove Factory, is situated in the second story of Neufelder and Ross's store, Government street. This is a new industry, having only been established eighteen months. The materials used are buckskin, goatskin and kid. Forty varieties of gloves are manufactured here, giving employment to a large number of girls. The enterprise so far has been successful, and the factory has more orders in hand than at present it can supply.

Hotels

The American, Yates street, T. J. Burnes proprietor, established in 1867. It is well known throughout the Pacific coast as a first class hotel. An excellent table is always provided, no expense being spared procuring every thing that is "in season." There are 32 bed rooms with accommodation for 64 visitors. Strangers visiting Victoria can always depend upon first class meals, excellent beds, and courteous attention, at the American hotel.

The Angel, Langley street, F. Carne, proprietor, is well known to most travellers on the Pacific Coast. Mrs. Carne is indefatigable in her attention to the boarders. The table is good and the bed rooms always kept clean and tidy. There are 44 rooms capable of accommodating 60 travellers.

Boomerang hotel, conducted by Mrs. B. Humphreys, 7 excellent rooms beautifully furnished, bar and dining room, Government street, corner Courtenay.

The Dominion, Yates street, S. Jones, proprietor, serves an excellent table with every comfort for single persons or families.

The Driard House, View street, is a large, square, and compact brick building, 4 stories in height, surmounted by a tower, from which there is a complete panoramic view of the city, and country round about. This hotel has, on the ground floor, spacious parlors, dining rooms, and a very commodious and handsome bar-room. The bed-rooms are 60 in number, with ample accommodation for 90 persons. The Driard is celebrated for the excellence of its cuisine, which cannot be surpassed, by a San Francisco hotel. Ladies and gentlemen, staying at the Driard will find every attention paid to their requirements. Messrs. Redon and Hartnagel, are the proprietors.

The Colonial, Johnson street, combines saloon and boarding house, it has excellent bed-rooms, with accommodation for 50 persons.

The Commercial, Douglas street, D. Ellis proprietor, is a new brick building. In addition the bar, parlors and dining-room, there is bed-room accommodation for 60 persons. This hotel has already become a favorite with travellers.

The Occidental, corner of Johnson and Wharf streets, W. Jensen proprietor, is a large brick building, containing bar-room, parlors, dining-rooms and 60 bed-rooms. Its proximity to the wharf makes it very convenient for strangers. It is well conducted, with moderate charges, and those staying here will be well satisfied.

The Oriental, Yates street, W. McKeon proprietor, is a very convenient one for travellers who wish to secure good bed-rooms, leaving themselves free to take meals when, where and how they please. The hotel contains bar and billiard rooms, with two excellent billiard tables, parlors and 36 bed-rooms, with accommodation for 75 travellers. The bed-rooms are airy and light, and the charges reasonable.

The St. Nicholas, Government street, B. F. Dillon proprietor, is a very large, fire-proof building, 4 stories in height. Besides dining-rooms and parlors, it contains 60 bed-rooms, and can accommodate 150 people. It is a well managed house, the charges moderate.

The Pacific Telegraph, Store street, Mrs. Astrico proprietress, in its excellent management and bountiful provision, is equal to any in the city. There are 65 bed-rooms with accommodation for 100 persons.

The Park, situated on the confines of Beacon Hill Park, is in many respects unrivalled. The view from it is most magnificent, embracing the Strait of Fuca and the snow-clad mountains of the Olympian range.

The Royal, formerly the City Hotel, Fort street, Mrs. Godfrey proprietress, is very conveniently situated in the center of the city, well conducted, having 40 bed-rooms, capable of accommodating 50 persons.

The Terminus, Johnson street, has the reputation of supplying good liquors, excellent meals, and good beds, at most reasonable rates.

Match Factory

The Match Factory of Messrs. Manson & Hendry, is situated on Work st., facing Victoria harbor. The building is 40 x 26 feet, two stories high, and contains a 10 horse power engine, which drives a cross cut stray, and the jamming and splitting machines. The product of the factory is about 1,000 gross of bunches per month. All the matches manufactured find a ready sale, being considered far superior to any that are imported. 6 men employed.

News Papers

The Daily and Weekly Standard, published by C. McK. Smith, office Government street, is a popular newspaper, and has a well conducted book and job printing department in connection with the establishment.

The Daily Evening Post, McDowell Bros., proprietors, the only evening journal in this city, and although in its infancy it has already met with success.

The Daily and Weekly Colonist was established in 1853. D. W. Higgins is the present proprietor. The paper is ably conducted and has a large circulation. This office has a very complete plant for book and job printing of all descriptions.

Pianos

Pianoforte, Harmonium, and Organ Factory, Government street, Jno. Bagnall, proprietor, was established in 1863. Mr. Bagnall is a skilled and practical manufacturer, as well as importer of the above instruments.

Soda and Syrup

C. Morley's Soda and Syrup Works, Yates street, near the American hotel, employ a number of men in the manufacture of lemonade, soda water, ginger-ale, root bitters, &c., &c.

Pioneer, Soda Water and Syrup Works, A. Phillips, proprietor, are situated in Yates street and command and extensive trade.

Sash and Door Factories

Sash and Door Factory, Muirhead & Mann, proprietors, is situated on Constance street. The main building, fronting the harbor, is 50 x 80 feet. The boiler house is in the reader. On the opposite side of the road is a two story building 40 x 70 feet, used as a store for sashes, &c. The factory contains a 30 horse power, high-pressure engine, 24 inch planer 8 inch moulder, cutting and rip saws, emery and lathe wheels. On the second story there are two moulding machines, one panel, one tenoning, and one mortising machine, a jointer with cross cut band, and rip saw. The firm has constantly on hand semi-circular gutters and pointed pickets for fencing. The number of hands employed is 18.

Smith & Clark's Sash and Door Factory is situated on the corner of Langley and Fort streets. The main building is 60 x 40 feet, the joiner's shop 44 x 26 feet, and the warehouse on Fort street 50 x 24 feet. The machinery consists of moulding machine, planer, emery grinder, two mortising machines, with cutting off, rip, jig and band saws. This firm employs 31 men.

C. Hawyward's Sash and Door Factory is situated on the Corner of Langley and Broughton streets, and is 75 x 30 feet, two stories in height. The saw-mill is 45 x 30 feet, and the warehouse 40 x 30 feet, two stories high. The first floor of the factory contains band and rip saws, one surfacer, two stickers, circular saw 46 inches in diameting, tenoning and mortising machines. On the same floor are two turning lathes, boring, doweling, shaping and mortising machines, and crescent saws. The steam engine is of 35 horse power. Number of men employed, 12.

Stair Building

S. Gray, Stair Building, has his workshop on Government street. Mr Gray's special line is stair building, he is the inventor of a very elegant and compact patent "Twin stairs and light shaft" - a very neat model of which may be seen in his workshop.

Saw Mill

Rock Bay Saw Mill, W. P. proprietor, is situated at the south end of Rock Bay Bridge. The mill is 120 x 35 feet, two stories high. The machinery consists of double, circular saw, edger, planers, trimmers, lathe saw, two boilers, 80 horse power. Can cut 30,000 feet per day of 11 hours. Number of hands employed, 30. Connected with the mill is a lumber yard containing all kinds of rough and surfaced lumber. The property has a frontage of 300 feet on the harbor, affording every convenience for shipping.

Soap Works

Pendray & Co.'s Soap Factory. This is the only soap factory in British Columbia. It is situated on Humboldt street, and comprises very extensive and substantial buildings, the factory itself being 60 x 40 feet, the warehouse 60 x 30 feet, and the store-house 20 x 16 feet. The amount of tallow used per week is about 3,000 pounds. On the ground floor there is an 8 horse power boiler for supplying steam. The various kinds of soap manufactured are Indian soap, made with oil; whale oil soft soap; ordinary household soap, of which 12 kinds are made; toilet soaps, of different scents and colors; carbolic, shaving and glycerine. The quantity of household soap manufactured per week is about 10,000 pounds, and there is also a large demand for toilet soap. Pendray & Co. deserve all praise for their energy.

Salmon Label Printing

D. W. Higgins, proprietor of The Colonist, has lately embarked in a new line of business. Having been the first to introduce steam cylinder printing, he is also the pioneer of chromatic printing. With one exception the whole of the colored labels for the salmon canneries of British Columbia have this year been printed by Mr. Higgins. Thirty hands are now employed.

Steamers and Steamship Lines

The East Coast Line of Steamers, owned by J. Spratt, and consisting of the steamers W. G. Hunt, Maude, and Cariboo-Fly, ply regularly to the ports on the eastern coat of the Island, carrying mails, passengers and freight. Regular sailing days, Tuesdays and Fridays, at 7 a.m., and every alternate week to Comox. The management is under the charge of Captain Rudlin, E. White, purser. The office is on Spratt's wharf, Store street.

The People's Line, the office being on Turner's wharf, Yates street, W. McNish agent. The West Slope, a fast and commodious boat, under the command of the well-known pioneer, Capt. Wm. Moore, with John Moore as purser, plies as a through boat to Yale, stopping at New Westminster and way ports.

The Pioneer Line, the R. P. Rithet, Capt. John Irving, is the only steamer of this line running direct from Victoria to Yale and calling at way ports. She is a new and handsome boat with most elegant cabin accommodations and fitted up with electric lights. The Office of this line is on the H. B. Co.'s wharf.

The Pacific Coast Steamship Co.'s steamers, carrying mails and passengers to and from San Francisco, regular sailing days, 10th, 20th, and 30th of each month, Welch, Rithet & Co. agents, Wharf st. This firm are also agents for Dunsmuir, Diggle & Co.'s steamer Alexander, and Moodyville saw mills Co.'s steamer Etta White.

One of the O. R. & N. Co.'s swift steamers ply regularly three times a week between Victoria and Puget Sound, carrying passengers and mails; sailing days, Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5 A.M., returning in each case the next day to the Hudson Bay Co.'s Wharf, foot of street.

The steamer Woodside, owned by Messrs. Muir, Sooke, is employed doing general work between Victoria and that settlement.

The new and powerful steamer Sardonyx, plies between the Northern ports, Victoria and San Francisco. H. Saunders, Johnson street, is the agent, and is also agent for the steamers Beaver, Grappler, Pilot and Gertrude, variously employed in the Northern trade and in towing.

The Hudson Bay Co.'s Line comprises the steamers Princess Louise, Enterprise and Otter, the Enterprise making regular trips to New Westminster on Tuesdays and Fridays of each week, leaving at 7 A.M. and returning on Wednesdays, carrying mails and passengers.

Shipping returns for the port of Victoria, during the fiscal year ending 30th June, 1882.

Vessels arrived from other Canadian Ports, 448; Tonnage, 398,034; Crew, 11,792. Vessels departing, 480; Tonnage, 390,703; Crew, 11,639.

Vessels, British, employed in the Coasting Trade. Arrived steamers, 466; Sailing vessels, 327; Grand Total, 793; Tonnage, 183,739; Crew, 7,330. Departed, Steamers, 470, Sailing vessels, 313; Grand Total, 783; Tonnage, 183,038; Crew, 7,243.



1 The present volume contains twice the number of names of Residents of any former Directory published in the Province.