Today's broken link report for WS threw up many broken tel: links, and this is because the transformation is producing a URL like this: tel://, but it should be without the slashes. Reported this to JC in Communications who will be able to pass it on to whoever wrote the XSLT. Also fixed some broken links on History site.
Published the WS site as planned, but immediately we found problems in rendering with IE8. Avoid left-floated images in long pages, otherwise it will completely lose its marbles.
To configure a home page billboard, you set up assets/blocks/content/billboards/billboard-home. But you don't drop that block into the page; this is what you do:
Edit the home page, Configurations tab, and se the "12 - Features" block to your billboard-home block. Then choose a Format: UVicCa:_internal/formats/datadefinition/blocks/uvic2012/billboard-rotator-sites-32. Note the "-32" at the end -- this is required to match the configuration of the page itself (at the top), I had a situation where I chose the plain "billboard-rotator-sites" format, and the billboard was broken (it disappeared after showing the first picture). This is because the page configuration for the WS site home page is "UVicCa2012-3-2". Watch out for this. I was working from the analogy of the Hispanital site, but their page configuration is older.
Came up against something I haven't seen before and don't really know how to fix. The French site structure has changed substantially in the last year (not sure when), as part of a reorganization that enables them to have various different paths to the same page content. There are now three locations for undergraduate course info:
There seem to be two paths through the menu structure to this content, prospective-students/undergraduate/courses and current-students/undergraduate/courses (no idea why three copies are needed). Whichever way you go through the menus, though, you no longer see "prospective-students" or "current-students" in the url path; you just see either undergraduate/undergraduate/courses/index.php or graduate/undergraduate/courses/index.php. But it looks like there were once paths including "*-students", and content was published to those paths and never unpublished. As a result, there are ghost pages up on the site, which have out-of-date info and broken links. The link-checker keeps flagging those pages, but I have no idea how to remove them since there's no equivalent resource I can see on the Cascade system that I could unpublish. Weird. Waiting for advice from LG.
As HR and I tidy up the last details of the WS site port to the 2012 templates, I've learned a few things worth remembering. First, notes on the Faculty listings page and individual faculty member pages:
We need to do the same thing with the sessionals, but right now there is no Sessional Page templage (LG is getting one added for us). We could use the Faculty Page thing, but that's programmed to automatically drop the page into the faculty folder, so you'd have to move each one as you create it. Once that's done:
HR has done a great job working through the whole site in the new design, updating things, and there's only another few hours of work to do. I've only had to figure out a couple of things. I've written to LG to see if there's another sort of review process that needs to happen before it can go live.
Due to work that was done over the past two semesters (not by us), the French site now has many mirrored pages for course lists, some of them in the oddest locations (undergraduate course lists mirrored in the graduate folder, and copies of the undergraduate directory, containing only the courses subdirectory, inside itself. I really can't figure out what's happening. The link check has thrown up a bunch of broken links because (for example) two of the four undergraduate courses pages are in an old incarnation with links to PDFs which no longer exist. However, in Cascade, the pages look fine (as mirrors of another page). When I publish the mirrored pages, however, no change appears on the server.
LSPW is aware of this and is planning to tidy it up in August (she's on vacation till then). I won't be around for a month either, and SA will also be away, so there's not much we can do till then. Just blogging it in case it comes up while I'm away.
Hispanic and Italian Studies Cascade site now approved for production and launched Thursday June 20, 2013.
Emailed DR with latest changes/additions required for site.
Site in progress.
In Progress: updating site with new course listings 2013-14.
This blog is intended to collect together all that we discover about the Cascade CMS system as we work through the Humanities departmental websites.
|<< <||> >>|