Following PAB's instructions based on a request from her supervisor, the MyNDIR project has been temporarily password-protected. To do that, I followed my own instructions here. One wrinkle worth documenting:
After making the required changes, I tried restarting the webapp in the Tomcat manager. This appeared to work; however, when I tried to access it, I was challenged for authentication, but the authentication was not accepted. It seems that Tomcat perhaps does not re-read its tomcat-users.xml file unless it's restarted, so although Cocoon knew authentication was required, Tomcat was unable to process it. So we tried restarting Tomcat (in this case, tomcat-dev), logged on as me using sudo on the init script as documented elsewhere. This generated a problem we have seen before: the running instance of tomcat-dev failed to stop, and when a new process was started, we ended up with two running. The only way we could find to solve this was to su to hcmc (under which the processes run), and kill both of them. The first (the new one) was effectively killed with just
kill, but the other required
kill -9. Once both were stopped, we were able to run the init script (as me, using sudo), and Tomcat restarted. Greg is asking sysadmin to figure out what the problem might be here; we've encountered it several times now.
No Pingbacks for this post yet...
|<< <||> >>|