We don’t need to mark-up dates in Contributor bios. They function as strings of characters in the bios.
1700 would be a reasonable cut-off for other dates. After 1700, we’re into secondary sources, not primary sources. And whatever happened on a location after 1700 isn’t really “early modern” by the conventions of the discipline of English studies. (Early modern is more capacious for historians.)
The guiding principle needs to be: are we going to do anything with this date? Is it harvestable data, or information that we need to manage the site effectively? If not, then it’s just a string of characters.
As part of fixing the missing text in links in MIDD17, I tested and fixed the system for implementing links from one document to a fragment of another. This is basically how it works:
If you want to link from one document (say MIDD17) to another (say TRIU1), you can link to the whole document using mol:TRIU. However, sometimes you might want to link to a specific part of the TRIU1 document (which is a multi-text document). You can link to a specific
<div> in the target document like this:
<div>in the target document its own
@xml:id. For instance, we might want to link to the "Grocer's Company" section of the TRIU1 document, so we find the div that contains that section, and give it an
@xml:id. Our convention is that an @xml:id for a section in a target document should be created with a prefix that consists of the main document id (TRIU1) and an underscore. So we do this:
<ref target="mol:TRIU1#TRIU1_grocers">. In other words, mol: + the document id + # + the div id.
Links constructed like this are now working on the site (see MIDD17 links to TRIU1 for examples).
I am really enjoying my time with MoEML so far. While working through the BIBL1 and PERS1 files I have noticed a few things that we will need to be thinking about in the near (and distant) future. The following is a log of my tasks so far, including notes about what we may need to think about looking forward.
My first task was to delete the dates and names of contributors who have added files to BIBL1 in the past. JJ decided that there was no longer any need for this info. Working in this file, I noticed numerous formatting inconsistencies (arising from different people adding different info at different times with different MLA conventions). I look forward to amending these errors in the coming weeks.
My second task was to ensure that all links in PERS1 were updated. The ODNB had made some changes to their website and so most of our links were broken. Again, I noticed many formatting/style inconsistencies that I am eager to amend in the coming weeks.
My third task was to add the medium (i.e. Print, Web) to each BIBL1 entry. This is a newer MLA convention and has not been used consistently since the website launched. While adding these, I made some changes to the more easily-spottable inconsistencies. This got me pretty excited about a large-scale tidy-up! I am hoping to have this "spring cleaning," as I am calling it, finished by mid-June.
Since I will be spring cleaning for the next few weeks, JJ has assigned me the task of creating an updated style guide for the website. This will ensure that everyone adding information to these files continues to follow a correct and consistent format. I cannot stress enough the importance of consistent formatting for even the most trivial matters like using an en-dash instead of a hyphen between a person's life dates. If we are to continue to assert MoEML as a serious academic publication, we cannot allow formatting errors to persist. I (think I) have attached a draft of the style guide (which is also available in the svn file "documentation," in case the file addition backfired) and I would love to hear your input. It is not yet completely implemented, but please begin referring to it when inputting information. If you have any questions about formatting, please don't hesitate to contact me.
I think that's all for now. Thanks to JJ and MH for all of their guidance so far.
Note to Janelle and to the RAs:
The HCMC computers do not have MS-Word. If we are editing working files, use OpenOffice. If you are on another computer and need to convert a .doc or .docx file to .odt, do NOT use MS-Word to save the file as a .odt file. The comments (where we record so much information for our encoders) will be stripped away in the file conversion.
Instead, save and close the .doc/.docx file. Then, start up OpenOffice and open the .doc/.docx file. Now you can save it as a .odt file without losing the comments.
Remember: File names must not include spaces or punctuation.
JJ requested on Flow that when you click on a person's name, their info be shown in a popup. This is now implemented. Specifically, if you use this type of reference:
<name type="person" ref="mol:HOLM3">Martin Holmes</name>
then the name will generate a popup link, but if you put this:
<ref target="mol:HOLM3">Martin Holmes</ref>
then a link to that person's page will be generated.
First Pass: Preparing a basic text for encoding.
Second Pass (depends on time and the instructions from JJ).
If you are putting the information into comment bubbles:
If you are printing out the file, highlighting locations, people, bibl items, and other features you want to flag for the encoder:
This project allows literary and scholarly works (primary and secondary) to be associated with locations in London, providing the reader with a richer understanding of the works.
|<< <||> >>|