JL called asking for a list of the Canadian cities from which teachers have registered. I pulled the XML version of the tg_users table from the server and ran this:
let $tables := for $t in //table[column[@name='mailingCountry'][normalize-space(upper-case(.)) = 'CANADA']] return $t let $addresses := for $t in $tables return normalize-space(upper-case(concat($t/column[@name='mailingCity'], ', ', $t/column[@name='mailingState']))) let $uniqueAddresses := distinct-values($addresses) let $orderedAddresses := for $u in $uniqueAddresses order by $u return $u return string-join($orderedAddresses, ' ')
to get a quick-and-dirty list of city, province. I had to search-and-replace some ugly character encoding issues -- the db thinks it has UTF-8 but the data coming in has obviously been 8859-1. Sent the results to JL.
changed 22 instances of "csmgenr2.uvic.ca" to "gen1p.mysql.uvic.ca" as the old mysql server is being decommissioned.
Some old instances Seems to be working. If there are problems, they will occur trying to create or authenticate a teacher id and password.
I styled the Google Search bar and results page for the for the Franklin site.
It can be seen here:
Styling was done using a combination of the Google provided console for "look and feel" and many forced styling changes with "!important" rule to override Google's property values. This was done through the sites own style sheet: FranklinLayout.css.
While waiting for the site's owners to approve or not approve the engine we have to figure out a method of providing a French language results and search bar. This involves making a second search engine with French as its default language and then serving it only to pages with "_fr" in their file names.
LD asked about print output of all the Franklin pages in one big (PDF) file.
To do a real job of this, I guess I could write some kind of translation using Apache FOP, but I can't justify the time and effort.
Did some experimenting with a @media print block of selectors for outputting plain black text on white background for printing. Added the selectors to the FranklinLayoutDev.css file. By and large it works, but images for some reason cause page breaks to appear unexpectedly in the PDF (for example Voyage/introduction). If I remove the "@media print" selector, then the rules apply to the screen output as well, and the images don't force a page break, but all the other behaviour works as it does for the PDF output. In principle, with a few more hours work I could probably get pretty clean output one web-page at a time, and then someone would have to generate a PDF of each page and then and assemble them into one big PDF.
Tweaked a number of files (including the main transform file) to support French as well as English versions of graphics.
Created versions of various pages in CanMys main site to include navigation to Franklin site - compiled list of image files I need from Pat, sent it to Merna.
Got french translation of MysteryQuest files again and compared to those received in February - no changes. Uploaded all those to the dev Mysteryquest site (http://www.mysteryquests.ca:8080).
Modified following files in dev instance of umbrella site:
:: Next Page >>
The Canadian Mysteries site consists of a production site containing 12 mysteries, a containing shell and 30 mysteryquests; and a database-driven development site. HCMC took over tech support in summer 08. This blog documents work done on the site from Sept 08. Earlier work is documented in the depts blog in posts prepended with CanMys