Added choice element allowing empty or item from list of normalized names of judges. The list items can't include a space character (I don't know why - I researched for an hour and all documentation indicates the space character should present no problem). I've put those elements into the file "bailey_proofing.rng" which is the file that the proofer will use.
I still have to modify the regular expressions in the NameJudgeJuryAge4 section of howto_regular081017.txt to look for the text values and replace them with the normalized ones.
Still need to come up with 7 or so major categories for crimes, primarily to make the graphical visualization feasible. This bit of information would be in addition to the specific crime. Ultimately, the visualization tool will allow for presentation by crime-category, and then by crime within a selected category - if so, then each category needs no more than 7 to 9 members.
Still need a number of other bits and pieces on the graphical presentation.
Under the direction of Stewart, Stewart and I reworked the Bailey project database to reflect a 1-N relationship with the recorder_report and the trial tables, instead of a N-N relationship. Therefore, in the case where 2 recorder reports exist for one trial the database will use one record to record both.
Within the database, report_start_date, from the recorder_report table, will contain the publishing date for that recorder report. If there happens to be a second recorder's report the report_end_date field will be used to recorder the second recorder report publication date. If the report_start_date and the report_end_date are the same then there is only one recorder report.
I attempted to create a php file that would read either a tab delimited text file or the .xml file produced by Stewart regarding the Bailey records to create sql statements but it proved to be way too difficult.
I worked with Martin earlier this week to develop a .xsl file that would interpret Stewart's .xml file and produce an .sql file. After cross checking the results with the original .xml I found that we were successful.
In order to further this project I will be creating a web application that will allow users to search through this data.
Simon Devereaux has approximately 10,000 records of people convicted in potentially capital cases between 1710 and 1840 in London heard at the Old Bailey court. This project will create a web-based database which will allow interested researchers and members of the public to compose queries on that data (e.g. women charged with robbery 1710-1720). It must be able to support a range of queries and produce output allowing researchers to identify trends in judicial practice over that time.
|<< <||> >>|