This lists some of the errors that we have encountered, and their respective solutions!
Upon my morning svn update I received this error:
kim@dandelion:~/Desktop/coldesp_xml/xml$ svn update
svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
svn: warning: environment variable LANG is en_CA
svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
SOLUTION: type this into terminal
export LC_ALL=CI found this info here.
Use this to find phrases excluding certain words. For example, if you want to find Hudson's Bay, but without "Company," "House," "Territory," and so on:
This info taken from here: http://www.regular-expressions.info/lookaround.html
Catching up with recent changes -- set my local version of the app to regenerate all the OAI records from the latest XML files while out at the dentist, then copied them down from there, committed them to SVN, and uploaded them into the live app.
Completed the addition of new placenames from 1859, of which, there are 59 additions. Hopefully, Theo and Shaun can get through their respective tasks in time to help to complete them.
Following yesterday's post, I've rewritten the XQuery that handles generating the KML files that are passed to Google Maps, along with tweaks to the XSLT that creates the map links in place data display on the site:
<LinearRing>(for a polygon) or a
<Point>(for a point) tag into the KML.
<desc>tags is now output as plain text twice in the output KML: once as a
<Snippet>element (which means it shows up on the left of the map, next to the placename), and once again as a
<description>element (which means it shows up inside the "speech bubble"-style popup when you click on the location's pushpin marker.
Right now, we're handling the link between the places entries and Google maps in this way:
<geo>element) for the location, we're simply passing the coordinates and a placename to Google Maps, which then displays the point.
What we need to do:
The biographies files have been tuned up. And, I have added an 1859 biograpies file to the "Bios" folder. I have yet to add the list of new names from 1859, as I await Theo to finish his additions from 1858, as the names I found in '59 may have occurred fist in '58.
In all the current biography files, I have deleted duplicate entries and formatted correctly several of the entries, and where required, updated the necessary tags in the despatches. Along the way, this process has revealed ways in which we can standardize further the way we handle biography entries. I will post these amended standards on the Guidelines document.
I have completed my file-by-file pass of all the 1859 files, adding place, date, people, vessel, and First Nations tags.
Next, I will add the new-found names, of people places and vessels, to their respective content-files. I predict this to take roughly two days, and then we will require entries to be written for, at least, the place names and vessels.
Retrieved from Urchin.
The Colonial Despatches is an XML database project which is creating a digital archive containing the original correspondence between the British Colonial Office and the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The project lives at http://bcgenesis.uvic.ca, and the web application runs on the Pear dev Tomcat. The XML data is managed in SVN at http://revision.tapor.uvic.ca/svn/coldesp/.
|<< <||Current||> >>|