Details of a request from BLT to an enhancement to the RSS feed reader on the Humanities faculty site:
- We need to create a page which shows only one week's events.
- This should be done by added a custom output format to the current RSS feed reader code. There are already two or three output routines; this would just be another, for this specific purpose.
- The output from this routine would provide two lists of the events for the coming week:
- The first should be identical to the current output, except that it should not include the description field. BLT will copy-paste this into an email he sends out to the faculty.
- The second would be the same, except that it would include the description field; this would enable BLT to extract the speaker information from it manually (there is no speaker field in the events calendar, so this always has to be extracted manually).
- A page showing this output will be added to the Hums site, but not linked from anywhere. The URL will be known to BLT, who will use it to generate his weekly emails. It wouldn't matter if anyone else stumbled upon this page, because it's just another list of events from the calendar.
- While writing this, we should also take the opportunity to fix a bug in the current output from the reader, as it appears in all pages -- see this validator output. The bug is caused by the use of a
<ul> element with children which are
<p>s instead of
I'll get to work on this in the week of the 18th.