Edited and encoded the minutes from the teleconference.
More traffic on the LMF list about some finer points of the RELISH schemas and schematron constraints: I'm getting further in my understanding of this, but still quite puzzled about some aspects. Then we discussed the abstract for congress, and I drafted my bit of it -- over to ECH to complete, and me to submit over the weekend.
Met with KT and JM about a submission they're planning for Congress on TEI-related stuff. Must get ours done...
TEI Council teleconference. I did minutes, which I'll mark up and post on tei-c.org next week.
I've been working on getting the Text Directionality Workgroup moving, and as of today we have a working group, a wiki page and a mailing list. And a huge task ahead of us. :-)
Created the detailed outline for the Oxford XSLT workshop next July, and sent it to JC and SR.
Testing and documenting oddbyexample.xsl, and pestering SR with some bugs and questions so I can complete the wiki page for it.
Did some workaday ticket and wiki work.
Implementing the Prefix Definition Proposal. I'm anxious to have this done to legitimize our practice in the Moses and MoEML projects.
I'll probably get assigned a couple more now, since I've finished quickly.
Four down, one to go.
Three down, two to go.
More work on the Prefix Definition Proposal, including addition of a draft of a new chapter section.
One down, four to go.
Second day of course.
First day of TEI+XML course.
Meeting with LE and JJ to run through materials; several more presentations created as well as other materials and tasks; tested the projector with my laptop, and moved some machines around in the lab to make sure everyone can see the screen.
More work on presentation materials. Lots of graphics and diagrams that should be very useful in future.
More work on presentations and teaching notes.
Several more presentations done or mostly done.
More work on presentations, and draft of announcement for SA to send out.
Set up presentation template, created the first of the presentations for the workshop, and started on the second.
Much final editing and cutting to get down to word limits, but the two DH submissions are finally done.
Met to discuss the grant application, and came up with some new ideas re outreach.
CB did a comprehensive edit of the first draft, and I've redrafted incorporating a lot of his suggestions.
Spent a lot of the day on TEI release prep, while working on other stuff...
Created a mock-up for dh submission and redrafted a bit of the first proposal.
Finished drafting the second paper and sent it out to JJ and CB. Then worked on the first again, with a new draft coming back from JJ. All going well.
Created diagrams and reworked bits of first paper; Started drafting second paper, and compiling references.
Sent to JJ. One flow-chart diagram still needs to be added.
Looking at a lot of TEI projects to see how calendar information is encoded (or not), as part of preparing a submission for DH. Should be in a position to write it tomorrow, I hope.
Started in on background reading for network mapping on MoEML.
Over the last couple of days I've polished of some simple tickets and rewritten my proposal for prefix-dereferencing (for e.g. private URIs in data.pointer attributes).
Met to discuss SSHRC partnership grant application and plan initial phases. Detailed work on LOI by HCMC will start after reading break; in the meantime I need to look through the grant requirements and application forms, once I'm invited.
Working on materials for the November workshop. I'm still sort of script-writing; next week I'll need to get onto building the actual presentations.
Started work on an abstract relating to our work with dates and calendars on MoEML.
Finished the minutes, and wrote a little XSLT file to generate an action table for the wiki.
Working most of the day on tagging and editing minutes from the FTF meeting. Note to self: don't go from ODT to TEI; start a new TEI file, paste in the content, and tag it manually. Way cleaner, way quicker in the end.
Various bits of work on tickets and cleanup from the Council meeting, as well as my expenses.
Spent some time identifying possible sample texts to use for basic encoding practice; we now have a good source which will provide useful examples of all kinds.
Work arising out of Ann Arbor meeting. Went through the process of creating a new Schematron constraint in a
<classSpec>, then adding both positive and negative tests for it, at the same time creating detailed documentation of the process. Added this documentation into tcw20.xml ("How to edit the TEI Guidelines"), but it can't be rendered at the moment because the TCWs are TEI Lite, whereas I needed to use documentation elements not supported by Lite. It's not yet clear what we'll do about this.
MG, a researcher from Rennes looking into DH Centres, came to interview me about our infrastructure, projects and organization.
Wrote the next batch of notes for the course.
Continuing my process of writing detailed notes on all the topics before we start creating presentations, I've written the notes on XML Namespaces this morning.
In the process, made lots of SVG diagrams that may be useful in future, and clarified some of my own ideas a bit.
Wrote some more lecture-style stuff about schemas, and created some sample materials.
Made some more progress on the TRUTH presentation. It's coming together slowly.
Started writing notes for the introduction to the November TEI course. I'm basically writing lecture notes, from which I'll construct some presentations. Not sure yet what to use for the presentation format.
Pulling out and reworking real examples from codebase, doing some background reading on VariaLog, and rethinking a bit. Now waiting for some advice from CC.
Started work on my presentation for the TRUTH event in September.
Did some editing of guidelines, specifications and minutes.
Attended a telco and took minutes. Some prep and follow-up as well.
Met with JJ, SA, and GG to plan the outline of the course, and discuss logistics.
Wrote the abstract for our TRUTH presentation in September, and ran it by Claire, then submitted it to US, along with a short bio. I'll work on the presentation over the next couple of weeks so it's ready in plenty of time.
As well as building a new Jenkins machine today (blogged in Maint), I've been working on the proposal for dereferencing of private URIs, and looking through and commenting on some other tickets assigned to me.
Reviewed an abstract for the November TEI meeting.
Reviewed one abstract for the November meeting, and continued work on fixes to TEI following changes after yesterday's release.
Another iteration of the Jenkins build has enabled us to eliminate dependence on MS TT Core Fonts, by using Libertine instead of Times New Roman; waiting for a Council verdict on the quality of the results, but if there's approval, that gets rid of the last remaining EULA in the build system.
Also working on a proposal for
<listApp>, and debugging some missing character issues in the PDF build (I've found the problem, but I'm still waiting to see if my solution works or not).
Working on a ticket arising out of the Ann Arbor meeting, ahead of the coming P5 release.
Completed the Week 8 programming assignment. Now I have to go back and do the week 6, which I couldn't finish in the time available...
Completed the week 7 programming assignment (6 is still not done, but I'm going to come back to it at the end).
Still struggling mightily with last week's programming assignment...
More work ahead of release next month: introducing new recommendation to use xml-model.
Release is due in three weeks. Working on additions to the header chapter.
Up to Duncan to hear JS deliver a talk on "Drop the Digital". Excellent stuff.
Working on a remedy for AdBlock filters blocking some ids of elements on Guidelines page; created a stylesheet to implement adding a tei_ prefix in a post-processing stage after the guidelines have been generated.
Just finished week 5 problem sets; I'm basically a week behind because of the TEI Council meeting, but just staying within the deadlines...
Work on tickets arising out of Michigan meeting.
Interesting task, directly relevant to some of the work we'll be doing on Mariage and Coldesp.
Notetaking on the second video for week 4.
I'm now doing most of this work in my free time, but I completed and submitted the third programming assignment this morning. Still managing to keep up and stay on schedule. :-)
I'm half way through this, and I'll have to finish it at home. Deadline tonight, which I won't meet, but it's hard to get more than a few minutes of uninterrupted time during the work day.
Finished off the last lecture (started at home), then worked through the problem set for the week. Got full marks first time, which was astonishing to me.
The equations are taking time to understand...
Slogging through these things. I'm watching them once at home, and then note-taking them again at work...
On to probability theory...
Review of resubmitted article.
Worked through the final video lecture in week 1.
Working on standardizing some spelling variants across the P5 source. Mundane but necessary.
Interesting discussions of personographies, referencing with private URI schemes, and centralized authority databases at the first meeting of the versioning group.
Getting towards the end of the week one materials.
Did another lecture video.
Started work on first NLP course assignment. It's helping me polish up my regexes and dip a toe into Java again.
JJ + me gave keynote at CS IdeaFest.
Worked through the first two lectures in the Stanford NLP course I'm taking this semester.
Posting time spent on prep for today's TEI Council teleconference, and then the telco itself.
...for SDH-SEMI. This is the final review I've been assigned (so far).
Working on ticket 3487556.
Reviewed a paper for jTEI. Interesting and worthwhile exercise.
Made some source changes to add datatypes to attributes which didn't have them.
Working on attribute datatype issues as part of a TEI bug ticket.
...for SDH-SEMI. Did three, and opted out of one because of conflict of interest.
... for SDH-SEMI. I have four to do.
Today was release day for Groundhog (TEI P5 2.0.2), for which I acted as release technician. This was partially an experiment to see how well someone outside the Oxford core group could manage a release. After a couple of glitches, the process went smoothly and the release was completed by lunchtime. I spent the evening creating a detailed set of instructions for the next release person, as a working paper in the TEI CMS.
Continued work on my survey of attribute descriptions (http://purl.org/TEI/BUGS/3455686). Raised one other ticket, closed a dupe, and responded to a couple more.
I was asked to review a grant application relating to image markup, and to provide a letter of support. That's done -- the application looks worthwhile and practical, and may help us all in the absence of IMT2.
Met with HT to help with technical parts of SSHRC proposal, and drafted some of the wording relating to digitization and tech.
Attended an excellent presentation by MR on his encoding/visualization work. Learned about GEPHI, which I'll need to play around with.
Some work on TEI tickets/discussions.
This blog is for academic tasks undertaken by HCMC staff, such as writing articles for publication, reviewing abstracts for conferences, preparing and teaching classes, or proofing other people's documents.