After a conversation with Martin about why there's no flag for 'ls' that retrieves permissions in octal form, I added an alias to do this for me.
To create the alias, do this:
alias oct="stat -c '%A %a %n' $1"
Then, run it like this:
and get back something like this:
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/ybmtopbm
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/yelp
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/yes
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/yuvsplittoppm
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/yuvtoppm
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/zdump
-rwxr-xr-x 755 /usr/bin/zeisstopnm
Last night we upgraded Tomcat on peach to the latest version in order to take advantage of some recent GC optimizations. Unfortunately it also included a security fix that broke all of our Cocoon apps. So, bcgenesis, mariage, ach, myndir, etc. were dead.
Sysadmin fixed some of them with an adjustment to the web.xml file inside of each app like this:
Around line 708 in <app-name>/WEB-INF/web.xml, look for
and change webdav/* to something else, like webdavservlet/*
I have a bunch of new users to add to the system and make members of the CanMys blog. When I added the first and logged in as him, I noticed that when I clicked on the Posts button, I was allowed to see posts from the Moses, EMCS and Scraps blogs. Turns out those three blogs had group permissions which made all users of type "Blogger" members and with permission to upload to the media folder, but do nothing else. Those three blogs also have individual users with specific permissions.
I disabled the is-member checkbox for Bloggers in the group permissions for each of those three blogs. That automatically disabled the upload checkbox. There should be no change of behaviour for specific users that are members of those blogs.
To fix this problem, run
sudo update-alternatives --config javaws
and choose the java 7 version
NOTE: OpenJDK doesn't come with javaws by default. You need to install the 'icedtea-7-plugin' before you can do the config bit above.
The ISE was getting the error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
when running xwiki.
It turns out that the existence of quotes in JAVA_OPTS directives causes the option to be ignored. So, for future reference, use
-Djava.awt.headless=true instead of
-Djava.awt.headless="true" when launching tomcat on a headless server.
After an update to DSM 4.2 rutabaga no longer allowed rsync backups, failing with:
sh: rsync: not found
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
rsync error: remote command not found (code 127) at io.c(605) [Receiver=3.0.9]
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth we discovered that non-interactive users do not have /usr/syno/bin in their path (it *is* in their path if they shell in to the NAS, so they can run rsync *from* the NAS when shell'd in).
So, that's an easy fix, says us: add a symlink to /usr/syno/bin/rsync in a logical spot that *is* in a non-interactive path, like /usr/bin.
Problem: admin user cannot su root (error message = su: must be suid to work properly), so cannot create symlink.
Answer: TURN ON TELNET AND LOG IN AS ROOT USING THE WORST POSSIBLE METHOD!!! Then, you make the symlink and turn off telnet - quick!
This morning we got nets to set up B047 on the switch. Some time after that 3 machines lost the ability to get a DHCP address - I have no idea if there is a causal relationship between these things.
After much mucking about, it *looks* like it might have been a communication problem between the DHCP server and the machines.
Even forcibly releasing the DHCP lease didn't make any difference.
In the end, I booted the machine with a LiveCD and fiddled with enabling/disabling the network (in the network manger). I got a proper IP and rebooted in the installed OS. That seemed to break it out of the loop.
A bit perplexing and aggravating because I don't actually know what the problem was...
All current Tomcat-based projects have now been moved to Peach, with the help of RE, who has re-pointed all the relevant domains. The IALLTJournal project has been retired, since it's no longer in use, as has the old version of Francotoile, which was built on eXist 1.4. This was a fairly slow and careful migration over a couple of days, and we expect no problems, but Pear will continue to run for a little while just in case.
Tomcat has now been configured so that a slash not followed by a filename is handled by the webapp, not trapped as an error by Tomcat itself. I've also uploaded and tested the new Moses app on Peach, confirming that while the eXist dashboard and eXide fail under Tomcat 6, they work under Tomcat 7.
To create a visualization with gource (on Linux), first install gource (it's in the Ubuntu repo), then:
cd [the SVN directory you want to work on] svn log -r 11019:11452 --xml --verbose --quiet > svnlog.xml [Choose the revision numbers you want.] gource -1280x720 -o - svnlog.xml | ffmpeg -y -r 60 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -i - -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 1 -threads 0 -bf 0 video.mp4
This blog is the location for all work involving software and hardware maintenance, updates, installs, etc., both routine and urgent, in the server room, the labs and the R&D rooms.
|<< <||> >>|