Greg and I spent most of the day doing a test install of VISTA on Cilantro. We now have a fully configured
workstation. This is what we did and learned:
- Greg nuked the drive before installing the upgrade, so it complained that there was nothing to upgrade from.
However, we continued without entering a product key, to arrive at the trial version, and then ran the installer
again (from inside Vista) to "upgrade" with the key. It worked. Then we activated it online.
- The install process itself is tedious and involves multiple reboots. No change there.
- Running with an old graphics card, Aero was disabled, but we were still able to try out everything else.
- Installed all our major apps (IMT, Transformer, HotPot) and tested briefly. All seem to run just fine.
- Found an annoying bug with desktop icons: keep setting them to 24px in the display control panel, but they
bounce back to 32 on every reboot.
- Downloaded a print driver and installed the Lexmark -- works OK.
- Downloaded the driver and toolbox for the CanoScan N670U scanner. Works OK.
- Installed OpenOffice -- seems to work fine.
- Installed Firefox. The only wrinkle was that we did this during the initial install, and when we tried to
activate Windows, Firefox was launched, and then the MS site complained. Had to set IE to be default browser to get
past that, but in the end we activated Windows from the Control Panel after the second install.
- Installed Java 1.6 -- no problem.
- Looked for TweakUI, but there's no version from MS for Vista. Instead, I found TweakVI, which is a freebie with lots of useful features. During its
installation, it offered to turn off User Account Control (UAC), which was a great relief because it got rid of the
annoying confirmation dialog boxes that popped up every time we did anything.
- The new Aero-ready graphics card arrived, so we installed that; it found the drivers automatically. Enabled
the onboard sound in the bios (the Audigy sound card was not VISTA-compatible, so Greg had removed it), and then
successfully played a DVD in Media Centre.
- Re-profiled the system, and we were then able to turn on all the Aero eye-candy -- which doesn't amount to
much other than transparency on windows borders and a fancy task-switcher. Pah.
- Installed Oxygen to test the Java functionality. Seems to work fine.
- Tried file sharing. You can add a user from the domain as a sharer of the folder in three categories: Reader,
Contributor and Co-Owner. I added Greg as a Contributor; this should allow read-write (like XP with everything checked except Full Control).